This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Pastry Week is one of the most impressive of the ‘classic’ Bake Off themes. I am always amazed by the delicate delights produced and this year was no exception. In fact, this pastry week had extra pressure as it was a double elimination! It was so sad to see Rowan and Nicky leave the tent. However, Cristy’s decorative pies were definitely a showstopper and Star Baker (and the handshake in the signature) was absolutely deserved!

For Pastry Week, I am sharing with you my favourite profiterole recipe. Don’t be put off by complexities associated with making a choux pastry as it can be super simple, especially after a couple of tries to perfect your method. Also, the results are so delicious, you will be rewarded for your patience (and bravery!). The most important thing to remember is not to open the oven while choux pastry is cooking. This is because the pastry relies on steam to rise; opening the oven door will let all the steam out, leaving your choux flat and soggy.

I normally fill my profiteroles with a crème diplomat which is 50% crème patisserie (I have linked a recipe here) and 50% double cream, as you can bulk out the filling without losing the gorgeous flavour and texture of the crème patisserie. Don’t forgot a drizzle of chocolate as the perfect finishing touch!

Ingredients:

• 85g Unsalted Butter
  • 100g Plain Flour
  • 3 Eggs
  • A Pinch of Salt

Method:

1. Start by weighing out all your ingredients into separate bowls and cracking the eggs. As speed can be key, and this takes the pressure off.
  2. Put the butter in a deep saucepan with 220ml of water and bring to the boil. The water and butter should be at a high heat and bubbling vigorously.
  3. Quickly add the flour and salt and beat with a wooden spoon until it is smooth and starting to form a dough.
  4. Remove the dough from the pan and place on a plate to cool for 20 minutes.
  5. Preheat the oven to 200⁰C
  6. Beat the eggs together in a jug.
  7. Add the dough back to the pan and place on a low heat.
  8. Gradually, add the eggs until the mixture reaches a consistency where it is lazily dropping off the spoon. You may not need all the eggs so be sure to add a little at a time.
  9. Add the pastry to a piping bag and pipe £2-coin-sized swirls onto a lined baking tray. Alternatively, using a small spoon, space out dollops of the pastry.
  10. Cook in the oven for 25 minutes or until golden.
  11. As soon as the profiteroles are done, place them on a cooling rack and use a skewer to make a few small holes in the bottom of each. This lets out the steam, preventing them from going soggy.
  12. Once cooled, fill each profiteroles with a creamy filling and drizzle with melted chocolate.
Hello! I'm a third-year history student studying at Exeter Uni, who loves reading, travelling, baking, acting and a variety of sports.