Equiptment to make those at home workouts awesome!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Gyms are expensive. So make your own and stay fit and healthy even in your student room. Here our our top suggestions for affordable but versatile peices of equiptment to get you in shape from the comfort of your room!

Resistant bands:

We can’t all have a big rack of weights in our rooms when we have three housemates living directly below us. So use these with varying levels of resistance to gain muscle and strength. Use them not only to grow some serious booty and arms, but use them to help you stretch out really well afterwards! They are transportable, ridiculously cheap (check out amazon) and take up no room!

An ab wheel:

This is our new find. They are cheap (amazon again- we love amazon!) and small so can fit in your wardrobe. They look easy and look like they would give you no results at all but don’t be fooled – these are seriously difficult! Even a top end fitness model would struggle to use one! They will burn your abs and get you a serious six pack in no time at all. So forget the endless sit ups and do a few reps of these daily for some serious six pack gains!

Some light weights:

It doesn’t matter about getting ridiculously heavy weights. Some weights that are between 2-5 pounds are useful in adding to simple cardio moves. They add a bit of resistance and just make simple moves such as squats slightly more challenging. You can also add them into aerobic and cardio moves to feel the burn, get stronger and really increase the calorie burn!

A good yoga mat:

Every at home workout needs one of these! If you can afford only one piece of equipment do not fret; the simple yoga mat is all you truly need! It makes working out easier and more comfortable, and stops you slipping everywhere! There is also something really nice about rolling out your matt at the beginning and end of each workout!

Two paper plates:

I know what you are thinking: this is crazy! But trust me two simple paper plates will help you with those abs. You can buy proper foot sliders for you to do sliding leg exercises such as planking and moving your legs outwards, but two paper plates work just as well on carpet and allows you to engage the muscles without wasting money on more expensive equipment.

Gyms are great, and no matter how much you fork out for your at home gym you will never have the same level of equipment. But that doesn’t mean you can’t achieve just as good results at home! Simply invest a small amount of money and you can achieve the body and fitness goals you want at a fraction of the cost of the gym.

Geography student who loves travelling, exploring, health, fitness, good food and nutrition and loving life as much as possible!