This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

This week’s campus cutie is the lovely Hope Hughes. As co-president of the Mind Your Head society, Hope is enthusiastically tackling the all too apparent stigma against mental health issues. It can easily be argued that uni students’ constant battle to meet deadlines, make friends, and deal with the distance from home can make us vulnerable to these mental health issues in a variety of forms. This is why we need Hope! (an unintentional pun I promise.)

What’s your role in the society?

So this year I am Mind Your Head’s co-president along with the wonderful Charlotte. We ensure that everything runs smoothly, set the agenda for the year and work out what awareness dates and campaigns we want to focus on. We’re also here as a friendly face for the society.

What are your goals for the society this year?

It’s hard to set a goal for Mind Your Head because there’s so much that needs to be tackled in terms of promoting open discussion surrounding mental health issues. I suppose my main aims would be to create a society that fosters understanding and a welcoming environment. If one person comes away this year feeling we’d made a difference to their life that’s good enough for me!

What’s your favourite aspect of being part of the society?

Can I be really cheesy and say the people? Mind Your Head honestly attracts the best kind of people to its socials and events.

What’s your proudest achievement with the society so far this term?

It has to be our signature collection for World Mental Health Day. We filled a 10m roll of paper with signatures from students pledging to end the stigma surrounding mental health. I think we got over 500 signatures.

What do you think about the UK government’s current stance ad policies on mental health care?

I think the short answer here is they need to do more. Austerity measures are all well and good when you look at life in terms of economics and long term plans, but the fact of the matter is that cuts to vital mental health services mean that those that desperately need these services may not be alive to see these long term plans come to fruition.

Is there a specific current issue involving mental health that you’d like to bring to everyone’s attention?

It’s so hard to focus on just one but we’re currently working alongside the University’s Beat ambassador, a charity that supports those who are suffering with an eating disorder. The mortality rate for someone with an eating disorder is the highest of any mental health condition, and the services available for it are notoriously poor. On a positive note, our ex-president Leah Fuller has recently started up an eating difficulties support group in conjunction with Student Minds and we’ve launched a petition to highlight the lack of suitable services for those suffering with eating disorders. You can sign here to show your support:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/171053

What do you think the biggest obstacles are in improving support for people with mental health issues?

People rarely discuss the fundamental institutional barriers such as class, gender and race that can affect someone’s ability to pursue treatment for mental health, and I think a key reason for this is the stigma surrounding it. When people feel like they can’t even tell their friends and family, it’s unlikely they’ll consider accessing a professional network, no matter how good it is.

What advice would you give to students struggling with stress?

Stress is such a common thing at university, but it seems to get pushed under the rug in discussions surrounding mental health. I think the general mind-set of students is to push through the deadlines and relax when you get home for Christmas. You need a reminder that you deserve a break, and it’s okay to just relax and get yourself back in order. Acknowledge what’s causing you stress and take time away from it. I won’t pretend there’s a one size fits all miracle cure though, if you are seriously stressed I would advise contacting your personal tutor or one of the university’s wellbeing services.

What advice would you give to students currently struggling with mental health issues and who haven’t sought support at uni?

Honestly I would say the minute you seek help you’ll realise you wish you’d done it sooner. The staffs at the GP surgery and wellbeing centre are incredibly supportive and they provide absolutely invaluable services. It’s common for people who suffer with their mental health to feel like they’re overreacting, or wasting people’s time and this couldn’t be further from the truth. You deserve all the help and support you can get.

What advice would you give to another university looking to improve its mental health support system?

Well setting up a mental health and wellbeing society is a good start if you don’t have one! Having a guild or union that’s receptive to its students needs is honestly invaluable, and a lot of this starts with people being involved with their guild to begin with. Even if you’re confined by your lack of resources, all you need is a couple of social media accounts to promote discussion!

What events do you have planned for the society over the academic year?

Next term we’ll be doing work for university mental health week, OCD awareness, and eating disorder awareness amongst other things. We’re always keen to fill any gaps in issues that we’re tackling so we’re always open to suggestions and feedback!  We’re hoping to do some collaborations with other societies so we can explore the intersections than can impact on mental health from fresh perspectives.

Which Mind your Head event would you suggest we all put in our diaries?

Everyone is really looking forward to our trip to Bath Christmas Market on Saturday the 26th of November! We’re also hosting a Christmas evening in with Mulled wine and other festive treats.