bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Reasons Why Running Should Be Your New Study Buddy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Your New Study Buddy: Running

Why running is a good sport to fit in with studies.

Running is a bit like marmite; you either love it or you hate it. Most of us have that love/hate relationship with it because whilst we hate the thought of getting up and going for an exhausting, sometimes painful and gruelling jog, we love that post run feeling and enjoy reaping its many benefits.

1. It’s versatile

Running is a sport that can be done anywhere and at any time. Student life is often packed to the brim with other commitments and it can be easy to let our fitness levels slide as a result. Running can be done on road, off road and on the treadmill as well as alone or with a running buddy. There are also plenty of running groups you can join, either as part of the university, or in the city and it’s an easy way to make new fitness friends!

1. It’s a great way to keep fit

Running is one of the best forms of exercise for keeping in shape. It is the second most effective exercise for calories burned per minute (following cross country skiing) and it can benefit almost every part of your body. It strengthens joints and muscles as well as protecting yourself from some forms of cancer. It can improve your quality of sleep and working out for 2.5 hours a week can improve life expectancy. With all these amazing benefits, it’s easy to see why so many people love running! 

1. It helps with concentration and studying

Studies have shown that jogging just a couple of days a week leads to the growth of hundreds of thousands of new brain cells as the brains ability to recall memory is significantly improved. Light intensity exercise like jogging will stimulate noticeable levels of physiological arousal, which can improve attention span and the ability to perform cognitive tasks. So whether you jog as a form of procrastination or run to maintain a healthy body and mind, the positives of this exercise are endless. Try running as a study break to keep your mind fresh and focused.

1. It’s free

With all the new fitness crazes appearing, it’s easy to get trapped into thinking you need to fork out to get fit. Whilst it’s great to try new classes and find a sport that you enjoy, running is a timeless and effective way to keep fit on a budget. Although a good pair of running shoes may seem expensive, it’s a good investment and worth it if you’ll be training regularly. 

1. It’s good for your mental health

This time of year is packed full of deadlines, Christmas dinners and social events and it’s easy to become stressed or anxious trying to keep up with a demanding student life. Regular runners generally say that they live a happier, less stressful life than their non-running counterparts and experience a surge of happiness during and after a run. Endorphins play a key role, as these feel-good hormones are actually an opioid chemical that the body uses to help quell pain, relieve stress and anxiety, and enhance the immune system. It has even been suggested that running can help protect the body from mental illness as well as physical!

So next time you’re feeling a bit overwhelmed, stressed or lethargic, try a short run as an energy booster to make you buzz.