stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Reasons to Give Pole Fitness a Spin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Pole fitness is the new craze that is sweeping through gyms and exercise studios all across the world. Although this hot new fitness trend still holds a little taboo by being associated to the exotic dance industry, it’s now changing its tune. The emphasis is on female strength and empowerment and having a load of fun whilst getting fit! Here are 5 reasons why you should give it a go:

1) IT’S A CRAZY WORKOUT

Yes, the professionals may make it look like spinning your entire body around a vertical pole is a piece of cake, but in reality it’s a challenging workout. Pole has been described as three grueling exercises in one: Pilates, yoga and weight lifting (only this time it’s your own weight you’re lifting!). Sound fun and maybe a little terrifying? It definitely should, as the end results are promising to burn an average of 400 calories an hour making it well worth the struggle!

2) CHANGE THE FOCUS OF EXERCISE

From fad dieting to size 4 supermodels instagramming their workout plans, exercise seems to always be associated with achieving a certain figure. Well, not anymore! Pole is switching the focus from what your body looks like to what it is capable of and altogether creating a positive body image for people everywhere. Yay!

3) AWKWARD BONDING CAN TURN GREAT

Some may think there is nothing scarier than getting all your flab out and swinging around on a pole in front of a group of absolute strangers. Whilst it can be scary at first, you’ll soon come to realize that pole fitness is great way of bonding with other girls in the exact same position as you and having a giggle about it.

4) CONFIDENCE X 100

So you’re swinging round like a pro on a pole to Beyonce’s Drunk in love, you’re feeling strong, you’re feeling seductive, and you’re feeling CONFIDENT. Co-producer of Why I Dance Amy Main says, “Not only is it an incredible core and upper body strength builder, it is also sexually liberating, emotionally cathartic, a form of expression and an exploration of self”. This confidence can trickle through to many aspects of your life. So you can take that newfound confidence to Friday night Timepiece and feel great, knowing that you’re slaying that dance floor.

5) YOU CAN SET SOME SERIOUS GOALS

Pole doesn’t have to be restricted to your weekly class. The dance sport is rapidly expanding in prominence, with professional championships such as Miss Pole Dance UK getting bigger and better each year! There is even talk of pole being introduced into the Olympics. So what better time is there to try out such a positive and liberating fitness craze?