samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

4 Types of Exercise to Beat Exam Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

In the middle of the dreaded exam period, exercise can often be the last thing on many people’s minds, after a day of slogging away in the library often all you want to do is veg out in front of the TV, or maybe you feel you have so much revision to do that any spare moment should be spent with your head in a book – you just don’t have time to exercise! But HCX is here to tell you that taking a breather to do a bit of activity can not only be a great way to de-stress but also boost your brain power and make the work you do way more productive. Any sort of exercise will help as it encourages the circulation of oxygenated blood around your body – including the brain, which should leave you feeling more focused. So here are five great ways you can definitely justify that revision break:

1. Walking or Jogging

One of the main benefits of these exercises is that they get you outside, so ditch the treadmill and take yourself out into the fresh air. You can head out for a stroll or run whenever you can fit it in, and even take a friend along with you to make it even more fun. A change of scenery can offer you a whole new perspective so give it a go if you’re stuck on a particularly hard problem or feel you’ve hit a wall.

2. Yoga

Incorporating light exercise, breathing discipline and meditation yoga is an excellent stress reliever, and continued practice even builds up resilience to stress. If you can’t get to a class you can even do it from the comfort of your own home, there are countless tutorials available online demonstrating simple moves and positions that will help you put your mind back in order.

[pagebreak]

3. Swimming

Not only do you get all the benefits of the exercise: heart health, muscle strength, and flexibility to name a few, you also get the soothing properties of water. Swimming is one of the best ways to take a break as the regulated breathing also helps to clear the mind, and the focus it takes to coordinate your breath with your strokes allows you to forget everything else.

4. Kickboxing or Boxing

If you’re able to attend a class or even just find the punching bag at the gym, the benefits of this one probably go without saying. A build up of stress can cause a lot of pent up aggression, which might be why you’re finding that pile of washing up your housemate has left even more irritating than usual. Both boxing and kickboxing release endorphins fast and are a great way to channel any frustration into something far healthier.

These are some great activities to try if you’re feeling exam stress is just getting way too much, but really the best exercise is one that you enjoy.  Having a laugh and a good time may even be a better stress buster than exercise itself, combine the two to really unwind! So don’t let yourself get overwhelmed, take a break, get out of the library and get moving.

Image Credits: self.com, tigerintercenter.com, tittat.co.uk, telegraph.co.uk

Sources: stress.about.com, uk.askmen.com

Alice Calder is in her fourth year studying Philosophy, Politics and Economics at the University of Exeter. She spent her third year studying abroad at the University of Southern Mississippi where she fell in love with all things Deep South. After interning in Washington DC for the summer Alice's love of politics grew and developed into her career ambition. Aside from politics she likes music, exploring the great outdoors, and enjoying food in every possible form.