This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

It was a Bake Off first this week with a completely new theme. Party week provided me with so much inspiration for hosting tea parties and picnics when the hot weather finally returns next summer! The finger-food looked so delicate and delicious, and I absolutely loved the caterpillar cake technical! Didn’t Tasha’s look amazing?! However, party week was not without its challenges, particularly for Christie, who we sadly had to say goodbye to. She was such an amazing baker, so it is surprising to see her leave. The competition is really starting to get tough!

For those of you craving the summer party season of finger-food and picnics, I have a treat for you! Scones are such a simple recipe and a British classic. I have paired them with my own jam (don’t panic it is really easy) and clotted cream, but feel free to get inventive with how you serve them. Regardless, scones are an absolute must at any time of the year! The only question is when sticking to the traditional fillings, which should be first – jam or cream?  

Ingredients:

• 225g Self-Raising Flour
  • ½ tsp Baking Power
  • ½ tsp Salt
  • 50g Butter (cold)
  • 50g Dried Fruit (optional)
  • 1 Egg
  • 125ml Milk
  • 25g Maple Syrup
  • 200g Frozen Raspberries
  • 1.5 tbsp Chia Seeds
  • Clotted Cream

Method:

1. Start by making the jam. Gently heat the frozen raspberries in a pan with a splash of water until the raspberries are soft and squishy.
  2. Add the chia seeds to the pan and cook slowly for 5-10 minutes or until the jam has thickened slightly.
  3. Pour the jam into a clean jar and leave to cool before putting in the fridge until needed.
  4. Pre-heat the oven to 200⁰C.
  5. Place the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
  6. Cut the butter into cubes and add to the flour by rubbing it in until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
  7. If using the dried fruit, stir this into the flour and butter mix.
  8. Crack the egg into a cup and beat with the milk until frothy.
  9. Add the maple syrup to the butter and flour.
  10. Gradually add the egg and milk to the rest of the ingredients so a dough forms. You may not need all the egg and milk mix but don’t worry as you will need it for a glaze.
  11. Put the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll it so it is about 1-2cm in height.
  12. Using a round cookie cutter, make 6 scones and put on a baking tray, lined with parchment.
  13. Depending how much egg and milk mixture you have left, add a little more milk and dab this on top of each scone using a pastry brush.
  14. Bake for 12-15 minutes until the scones golden on the top and showing a distinctive crack in the middle.
  15. Leave the scones to cool slightly before topping with the homemade jam and clotted cream.  
Hello! I'm a third-year history student studying at Exeter Uni, who loves reading, travelling, baking, acting and a variety of sports.