This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

Winter can be hard. There’s Christmas to look forward to, but on either side of those lovely few days there’s rain, wind, the cold, deadlines, leaky shoes and that gross mould on your windowsill. It can be hard to get out of bed in the morning, let alone stay cheery and motivated. Hopefully some of these suggestions will help you through the cold months that have set in now in Cornwall. 

1. Make sure you have a winter-proof wardrobe. 

It’s Cornwall, so the chances are if it’s raining then it’s also really windy, so an umbrella is rarely any use. Invest in a decent, warm waterproof jacket with a hood that doesn’t fall down, or ask for one for Christmas. Likewise with wellies – you won’t look particularly cool turning up to lectures in them but if it’s really pouring it down it’s better than spending all day on campus with damp feet. Having good winter clothes also means you’re ready to start enjoying the snow if it arrives – nothing beats a good snowball fight.

2. Cook warming food.

Stew, apple crumble, pie, risotto – good, homely food will warm you up from the inside. If you’re like me then all you want during winter is fat and carbs, but try and cram in as much fruit and veg as you can; it’ll help keep you feeling good and ready to fight off the germs inevitably being coughed at you from all directions. There are loads of winter recipes online , i’d say Good Food and Pinterest are good places to start. If you’re up for it, get creative and decorate some gingerbread – it will take your mind off uni for a bit while you concentrate on piping that amazing icing.

3. Remember: fresh air, sunlight and exercise! 

I know the sun doesn’t make an appearance too often now, but try and catch it when it does. Wrap up warm and go for a walk to look at the leaves falling (or maybe even jump in them) so you’re still getting some Vitamin D. My skin turns a ridiculous shade of white in winter, but a bit of sun whenever possible stops me from becoming as unhealthy as I look. Seeing some sunshine can also help to ward off the winter blues.

Keeping active will also help you feel more alert and happy. It’s so tempting to just live in a blanket with a huge pack of biscuits and not move for 5 months, but the more you can do physically, the better you’ll feel; moving around keeps the winter lethargy away and, as strange as it may sound, exercise can help you to feel less tired.

4. Get cosy. 

No, it’s not good to hibernate all winter. However, there’s nothing wrong with taking some time to just be really, really cosy. Get your warmest pyjamas and slippers on, make yourself some hot chocolate/tea/soup and watch a Christmas film or read a book. Give yourself a chance to just relax and be snug, it’s a welcome break from trudging to the library through sleet and rain! 

5. Wake up well.

There’s something really horrible about waking up in the dark, it just makes it so much harder to get out of your warm bed and start the day. If you normally have a beeping sound for your alarm, try setting it to some upbeat music or the radio – I actually enjoy waking up to Classic FM, it’s nice and gentle. If you’re getting up just as it’s starting to get light, leave your curtains open a little bit so some of the sun reaches you and it doesn’t feel like 3am. Once you’re awake, get up straight away. I know it’s not easy, but the longer you hide in bed the less you want to get up, so give yourself a countdown and then brave the cold floor.

6. Enjoy time with your family and friends.

Christmas and New Year are for spending time with loved ones, and being around people you care about will keep you feeling positive. Take a break from revision and go ice skating with school friends you’ve not seen for months, or do some holiday baking with your family. Good people make difficult times much more bearable. Even if you’ve got exams or hand-ins looming, don’t let it spoil the holiday! You can allow yourself a few days off to eat too much, sigh at cracker jokes and watch TV specials.

7. Look after yourself! 

This includes eating well, getting outside and exercising, but it also means setting aside some time for self-care. If you get dry hair in winter, take half an hour to deep condition it. Paint your nails a festive colour. Do some yoga. Dance around your room to Mariah Carey. Have a bath or shower with products that smell comforting. We can all feel a bit bedraggled when it’s horrible outside so take extra care to make yourself feel as good as possible.

Soon enough the days will start getting longer again, and before you know it we’ll be complaining that it’s too hot like the true Brits we are. It’s easy to get down in the winter, but remember to look after yourself and stay positive. There are lots of things to love about this season, make sure you find them.

Victoria Williams

Exeter Cornwall

Hi! I'm Vicky, I'm 21 and I'm a third year Evolutionary Biology student at the University of Exeter's Penryn campus. When I'm not learning about the weird ways animals reproduce you'll probably find me wrapped in a blanket with a book and a whole packet of custard creams.