This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

We love getting to know our chapter contributors more, so this week we decided to profile English Literature student, Molly Griffiths. Get to know why she chose Cornwall, what she’s been up to and – as it’s International Women’s Week – some of her female role models!

What made you choose to come to the Cornwall campus?

My journey to Cornwall is a long story. I originally applied to do English and Classics at the Streatham campus in Exeter, but then something (namely, my exams) happened and I couldn’t do Classics anymore.

Luckily, I had just gotten a place at the Sorbonne in Paris, which is where I grew up. They don’t look at your actual exam results. Sometime in August 2015, I was all set to stay another year in Paris, if a little upset. But then, UCAS sent me an update: unconditional offer from Exeter’s Penryn Campus to do English, I rejoiced, and the rest is history!

I chose to come here instead of staying in Paris because I wanted / needed a change, and I really liked the idea of being by the sea. I’m Irish, I can’t help it!

What’s your favourite thing about living and studying in Cornwall?

I love studying and living here because its Celtic roots remind of Ireland. It’s so different from France in so many ways – the people I meet, the way things are taught and the extraordinary amount of support a student can get here.

I also like living here because it represents a new start for me. I had a rough time in France, and I like to think I can expand my own personality and beliefs by being here.

What made you want to get involved with our Her Campus chapter?

I got involved with Her Campus because I’ve always enjoyed writing and I liked the idea that it was focused on women and female students at university in particular.

What do you get up to in your spare time?

I love reading, which is not a surprise. I am ashamed to say that I spend most of my spare time asleep or doing nothing productive whatsoever! I also dance a lot.

As this week is International Women’s Week, can you tell us a bit about a female role model of yours?

Recently, I have become more and more awed by Lady Gaga. Her Oscars performance was so brave and beautiful. She’s also a really talented artist as well.

I also admire Aung San Suu Kyi for her determination in what is clearly a male-dominated world!

We’re so glad to hear Molly is having a great time in Cornwall, and we’re definitely in agreement about Lady Gaga and Aung San Suu Kyi! Read Molly’s article about Queer Representation on TV here