Queer Representation on TV

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

Queer representation in popular culture has often been a point of contention within the LGBTQ+ community, so for those of us who feel that the media is overwhelmingly heteronormative, and in honour of LGBT History Month, here is a rundown of what I consider to be five of the best representations of queer characters on TV.

5. Glee

This first one may seem like a cop-out, but, having followed this show from the beginning, I personally can vouch for the fact that this show tackled the idea of young adult sexuality well.

Sure, there are moments that are clearly meant to tie a big “happy ending” bow on the show’s queer pairings (so many weddings!), but other moments stand out, like, for instance, Kurt Hummel’s coming out speech to his father in season one, which is considered to this day one of the best TV coming out speeches, or its frank portrayal of bullying and the trauma experienced by people considered “different” because of their sexuality.

4. Sense8

This show was hyped from its inception for being another of the Wachowskis’ interesting – yet slightly off kilter to some people – venture into television. With the second season on its way, it is clear why!

Yes, the idea of eight people being connected mentally and emotionally across the world was an adventurous idea and was lauded, but what has also been praised a lot in the show was its honest portrayal of queer sexuality. This is particularly (but not exclusively) shown through the casting of Jamie Clayton, a transgender woman, to play the transgender character Nomi, whose storyline has been suggested to mirror creator Lana Wachowski’s experience. Adding to this is the creator-supported notion that all the characters err on the pansexual side of the spectrum, which in itself is relatively uncharted territory for television. 

3. Will and Grace

This place on the podium is purely a coincidence, considering I have never seen this show before. It is mostly famous for being what can be considered as the instigator of the ‘Gay Best Friend’ character, and the critical acclaim it recieved for the show’s portrayal of homosexuality, which is credited with helping public opinion of the LGBTQ+ community.

2. The L Word

Say whatever you want about this show, but one cannot disregard the fact that it is clearly a queer-oriented show. Its reception came with acclaim during its first season, and continued its run portraying lesbians and bisexual women as normal people with normal lives, without politicising it for viewers.

1. Queer as Folk (US)

I admit, I am a real fan of this show, and perhaps this is why I have chosen this show above all others to be number one on this list. However, regardless of my personal feelings, throughout its five year run, this show demonstrated its clear ability to portray homosexuality in a favourable way, and a way that didn’t push away reality. 

Yes, it’s HBO and the sex scenes are a bit gratuitous in some cases, but how many shows on TV ‘bury their gays’ and their sexual relatons? This show confidently – and frequently – works against this idea. It may have contributed heavily to the judgemental and prejudiced view that “all gays are promiscuous”, but every character on this show is proud of their sexuality. Casting gay men to play gay characters for once was a great choice, too!

Molly Griffiths

Exeter Cornwall '18

I grew up in Paris but was born in Ireland to an Irish mother and a British father. I'm literally obsessed with movies and literature. I also love animals and discovering new things.
Amy Beaumont

Exeter Cornwall

I'm an English Literature and History student, a big fan of cats, and Campus Coordinator for Her Campus Exeter Cornwall.