How to Cope with Homesickness in Cornwall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

In a lot of ways, moving away from home is easy: you pack up, endure the trip, move in, and then you can suddenly do whatever you want, whenever you want – and in Cornwall, you’re right near the beach! 

For some people, however, moving away is understandably difficult and confusing. You have to say goodbye to your pets, your friends, your siblings and parents, and no matter how annoying life at home may have seemed, you start feeling like you may not have appreciated it as much as you should have. 

Symptoms such as wandering around like a lost puppy in the communal kitchen, messaging your friends and family constantly, looking at photos of your cat with a quivering bottom lip and refusing to get out of bed probably mean you’re experiencing homesickness. Which is completely normal and almost expected!  For certain people, the anxiety and emotional distress this creates can be incredibly hard to deal with, and it’s important to understand and accept this, even if you don’t experience homesickness yourself.

The best way to cope is to take things slow and accept that you won’t stop missing home – at least not overnight – but remember that you don’t want this to prevent you from enjoying your time at university. Cornwall has so much to offer, and if you follow these steps, I can guarantee you’ll start to feel better in no time!

1.      Remember why you chose Cornwall!

The distance and difference may be a little daunting at first – Cornwall seems in a world of it’s own! The inability to get to a city as easily, the absence of motorways, the fact that you’re literally near Land’s End is strange at first, but you can equally see these things as a blessing. 

Cornwall is so different to the rest of the country, so rather than romanticising your home town (where you can visit during the holidays), remember why Cornwall lured you in, and focus on that instead. Was it the always-on-holiday vibe? The microclimate? The surfing? The course itself?

I personally chose to come to Cornwall because I knew it was in a place where I would feel comfortable and alive. I had come from a town on the outskirts of London that was relatively busy, murky and the nearest beach was a forty-five minute drive away. Cornwall felt like a dream and the course was perfect for me, so of course – regardless of the six hour distance – it was the best choice I ever made.

Something motivated you to come this far, so one of the best ways to deal with missing home is to look at what’s great about this new place you’ve arrived in, and all the opportunities you may encounter whilst being here. You’ve come to live in one of the top 5 places in the UK, and when it comes to deadline week, it’s easy to see why Cornwall is one of the best and most chilled places to be as a student.

2.      Talk to people.

Taking a break from Skype, Twitter and all other social media and immersing yourself in Cornish life and campus life may be the best way of getting yourself out of the rut that homesickness can create. 

The one social media site that you may find useful, however, is Facebook. Join the Fresher’s page to keep an eye out for society pages and events and like the Stannary’s Facebook page (if you’re on Penryn Campus) for information on their events. 

Remember that whilst talking to people back home can be helpful when it comes to homesickness, you won’t start to appreciate where you are until you stop keeping track of everyone else’s lives and start making some memories of your own. 

Experiment with coming out of your comfort zone and talk to some other students. Believe me, everyone is feeling a similar way to you, so pluck up your courage, put on your favourite clothes, and read this great Her Campus article before venturing out and making friends the only way you can in these situations: be yourself and show your interests! 

Talk to people about events you might have heard about, places you’re interested in visiting, places you may have visited when on holiday in Cornwall once, societies you want to join – there’s so much to say and do when you’re at university – your environment is constantly changing and people are adapting with you. You’re guaranteed to be able to connect with somebody!

3.      Explore the local area

The photos of Cornwall don’t lie. It feels exactly like walking into a postcard. Whether you’re in a town, village or walking by the coast, you are guaranteed to feel like you need to buy a camera and  play the Lord of the Rings theme tune constantly. It’s seriously beautiful.

Public transport can basically get you anywhere if you plan your journey. The Mussel Card covers bus, train and boats around the Fal River, and you can get a free 4-year railcard for opening a Student 1-2-3 Current Account with Santander. There’s even an open top bus in Falmouth from June-September!

Visit all the local restaurants, coffee shops and bakeries as they’ll definitely make you feel at home, they’re always so cosy and great for studying! Good Vibes on The Moor in Falmouth and Habaneros Burrito Bar and 8-Bit Gaming Bar on the high street are favourites of mine. 

Go to the beach when the weather is nice. Gyllyngvase, Swanpool and Castle beach are all local to the university campus, but Kynance Cove, St Ives and Newquay beach are all stunning and accessible by car, bus and train. Some societies such as Eco-Soc, Wild-Doc-Soc and beach cleans in association with Surfers Against Sewage even do mini-bus rides to beaches, and you can  learn or help the environment whilst you’re there! 

A simple walk and ice cream on the beach is incredibly calming and comforting, and with so many around, you should definitely give them a try!

4.      Visit a City

When at the Penryn Campus in Cornwall, the nearest City is Truro. The City of Lights festival held around Christmas term every year is beautiful, and as a city Truro has everything you may be lacking in Falmouth (they’re even planning on adding a Primark!)

If Truro isn’t enough, you can visit Plymouth or Exeter city centres on a train within two hours (around £6.60 return to Plymouth or £12.30 return to Exeter with a railcard), and make it back the same day!

5.      Look ahead.

Plan to go to some of the local events. The aforementioned Truro City of Lights Festival in December, the Helston Flora Day festival in May and the Penzance Golowan Festival in June are all fantastic examples , and will really immerse you in local culture. Look at this Visit Cornwall page for more suggestions.

Look forward to your time in Cornwall – it’s constantly surprising and you never get bored. Have your own micro-adventures and keep yourself busy, and hopefully your homesickness will be gone in no time! Good luck!

Emma Pocock

Exeter Cornwall