Falmouth: The Dark Horse of Student Towns

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter Cornwall chapter.

Living in Falmouth as a student can be pretty tough, there is no Primark, the public transport can be a bit slow and it is a small feat if you manage to get any friends from home down here, because as we all know Cornwall is like it’s own little country. But it does have a wonderful amount of charm and uniqueness that so many hold dearly in their hearts. 

Putting these minor woes aside, Falmouth and Cornwall are pretty much perfect for students. There are not many high street shops, but we have so many cute independent stores that sell things you could only get in Cornwall. They may be pricier than the high street, but they are unique and that is what makes living here just a little bit special, there are so many students who embrace this style and make it work. If not there is always online shopping! 

The setting is simply beautiful, there are not many students who can say they have lived in one of the top 5 places to live in the UK (not to brag or anything). It really does pay off, there are countless times when studying can get a bit tiresome, so the best thing to do is go to the beach; if you live in Falmouth it is at most 10 minutes away, we can even see the sea from the library (when it’s not ridiculously foggy). Even in the winter there is something about Cornwall that is so inspiring, the violent storms, the endless fog is just so interesting and makes the sea seem like it is alive. 

There is only one big club in Falmouth, the infamous Club I, but there are plenty of bars that are all individual. We have the traditional pub, beer bars, cocktail bars and a pub that has a bookshop within it…I mean, how great is that? 

Falmouth can be valued by students a lot more than the city, because when you are ridiculously up to your knees in work and stress, the last thing you need is the hustle and bustle of the city, Cornwall is all about relaxation and while studying this is what some people need and it really does help. 

So, though many dismiss Falmouth as being quite unsuitable for the student lifestyle, it does however give a totally new student experience that is so unique to this tiny seaside town.

I am an aspiring film and entertainment journalist and MA student at the University of Exeter.