Why the Gym isn’t as Intimidating as You Think

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

Going to the gym can be intimidating and scary for first timers. When I first started going to the gym I always thought everyone was judging me based on how I performed. However I couldn’t be more wrong. The gym is a place for improvement and the majority of people at the gym are focusing on themselves. 

The best tip I can give someone who is scared of walking into the gym alone would be to join a group class. Group classes like Zumba and Yoga are great places to start because everyone in the class is there to have fun and sweat it out! 

After you’ve gone to a couple group classes try walking into the gym and scoping it out. Walk on the treadmill and start to feel comfortable with your surroundings. Everything in life takes time, effort, and practice and the gym is exactly the same. Just because a person can lift weights does not mean you have to until you are ready. A big part of my fitness journey was becoming comfortable with myself before I was ready to start setting goals and achieving them. 

Once you become comfortable with yourself you will realize that you don’t care what people think about you as you do sit-ups and squats. The gym should be a safe place to get away from your classes as well as burn off calories and relieve stress. Once you determine how you want your gym experience to be no one can take it away from you.

Lauryn is a sophomore studying Finance and Sport Management at Endicott College. When she’s not studying she can be found working as a lifeguard and swim instructor or working out. In the past Lauryn has volunteered for the Special Olympics swim team at her local YMCA as well as coached other swimmers. She also loves watching the Patriots, going to other sporting events, and shopping with friends!
Endicott College HC Campus Correspondent, double majoring in International Business and Marketing!