This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

The week that would be considered “spring break” this year is quickly approaching. If you’re anything like me it’s likely making you feel a little down. Given the unprecedented circumstances that this past year has brought, spring break across many college campuses has been canceled. While this may seem relatively insignificant given the toll the pandemic has taken, spring break is a crucial time for students to recharge and relax halfway through the semester. Since there is nothing that can be done now to reverse this decision (it truly is the safest option) I think it’s especially important this year to still take time for ourselves during this halfway point in the semester. While we can’t plan that trip to Cabo and get our tan on, I think that we need to check in with ourselves to ensure that we’re not feeling overloaded or overwhelmed. 

With the many restrictions placed on social events, I often find myself spending more time on schoolwork, internship hunting, and work than I do making time for fun. Spending too much time on one thing (ie. schoolwork) is likely going to result in “burnout”. In order to prevent feeling burnt out, I’m planning to take the week that would be spring break to change up my routine and incorporate more activities that make me feel my best. I plan on doing this by including a little extra self-care time, planning some fun activities with friends, and being spontaneous. While it might seem easier said than done to take more time for yourself, it can be difficult when homework and tests pile up. I plan to get ahead on homework, assignments, and any other necessary tasks the week prior so that I can have a lighter workload (just like the usual cramming that happens before spring break week). 

That being said, the week of March 15th (you can do any week), will be my makeshift spring break week. I’ve created a list of some of the activities that I think would be fun for anyone like me who’s looking to prevent burnout this semester! Here are some ideas to get you in the spring spirit and change up your routine:

– Get coffee with friends and drive to the beach

-Do a facemask/paint nails

-Daily journal/keep a gratitude list 

-Movie night with friends

-Take a weekend day trip to Boston

-Do a yoga flow/meditation

-Make a fake spring break playlist 

-Go out to dinner with friends 

-Go to Target for no apparent reason

-Window shop in downtown Beverly/Gloucester/Rockport 

-Go for a long walk by yourself or with friends

-Start a new show (I recommend The Wilds and Firefly Lane)

-Go thrifting for spring clothes

-Decorate your room for spring with flowers, succulents, etc.

Julia Adrian

Endicott '23

My name is Julia Adrian and I'm a sophomore at Endicott College. Outside of classes you can find me running, hanging out with friends, or cooking/baking!