A hero image for the headers of this week\'s Quarantine Diary articles from our series.
Julia Keegan
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Endicott chapter.

Right now we’re all living in an alternative lifestyle that not many of us are used to, and that can bring extreme anxiety to those who already suffer with it, and maybe new feelings of anxiety for those who don’t typically experience it. We are literally being stripped of seeing people who are constant support systems in our normal lives, and places that keep us sane. Staying busy is usually what can keep my thoughts from spinning out of control, and a lot of that includes spending time with my friends, going to the gym, and being involved and active at school. This has been a major adjustment to learn to cope with what I have available to me at home, rather than my normal life outside of quarantine. 

I’ve been experiencing a lot more anxiety than usual the deeper we get into social distancing. I’ll barely be doing anything and I find myself trying to catch my breath, stop the nausea in my stomach, and the tightness in my chest. I’m crying a whole lot more than I usually do. I’m craving affection and socialization outside of my immediate family I’m quarantining with. So with all of these feelings flowing through me all the time, I’ve had to stop and figure out how I can manage my anxiety.

CREATING ROUTINE

What helps me the most I think is making a routine for myself at the beginning of each week. I plan out each day: what time I’m waking up, what workout I’m doing, what I need to accomplish for school, what creative activity I’ll be doing, etc. I’m usually a freak with my planner and color code my life, so continuing to do that makes me feel a little more normal. I also am making sure to take my anxiety medications around the same time every day, being sure not to skip a day even though all the days can blend together lately. 

MEDITATIVE ACTIVITY

Honestly downloading a meditating app or just talking through breathing exercises with yourself can help center yourself when you feel your anxiety peaking. A friend recently introduced me to “Box Breathing” which you can look up and follow a video too, and I’ve found it helpful. Sometimes for me it might just mean I’m going to play a calming playlist (or whatever music you need in that moment) and I sit there and color/draw for an hour and that allows me to find peace in my thoughts. I recently started journaling my experiences too because one day we’re going to want to look back on this and it helps me get my thoughts out. If you’re feeling super creative, play a yoga video and set up your room as if you were in a studio to follow along. Dim the lights, put your yoga mat down, maybe a candle and allow yourself time to mediate. 

EXERCISE/GETTING OUTSIDE

If your body isn’t feeling a typical full workout that day that’s perfectly okay. Mental health is just as important. You can take time to stretch, dance, take a walk, or play outside like you’re a kid again with whoever you’re quarantining with. My sister and I have been playing field hockey, tennis, going on walks/runs, and making random fun wherever we can. 

The most important thing you can do is remind yourself you are not alone in this. So many people are experiencing anxious thoughts and feelings during quarantine, and that’s completely normal. We’re all going to get through this in time and in our own ways!