When Life Gives You Lemons… Look Beautiful!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

We’ve been back on campus for four weeks now and the stress is definitely kicking into high gear. A mountain of papers, exams, quizzes, meetings, and interviews are filling up your calendar and weighing you down. The only thing worse than feeling the stress is seeing it on your skin. Lemons have major cleaning and clarifying properties, so they make for the perfect, cheap ingredient to be the base of our DIY facial remedies! Want easy ways to clear your skin? Then keep on reading! 

Remove Blackheads: Lemon juice is filled with natural acids and sugars. It is great for removing dead skin and dissolving the oils that create blackheads. Right before you go to sleep, rub lemon juice over the areas that have blackheads. When you wake up, rinse with cool water. Repeat this every night until your face clears up.

Lighten Dark Spots: The Vitamin C in lemons is perfect for getting glowing skin. The lemon juice gradually fades spots and evens your skin tone. Who doesn’t want that? Dip half of a lemon into a half-teaspoon of sugar and rub on your face for two minutes. Do this every night to remove the dead skin and create a more even complexion. 

Acne Treatment: The alkaline property of lemons kills some types of bacteria known to cause acne. The antibacterial and antifungal properties make them a natural alternative to treat acne. Using a cotton ball, apply lemon juice on the problem spots and leave it overnight. When you wake up, rinse with cool water. Don’t worry if your face burns a little at the beginning, it won’t last long! 

Oily Skin: This recipe calls for a few extra minutes, but it’s worth it for all you ladies who have tried a million and one ways to tone down the shine on your face! Gently wash and exfoliate your skin to prepare it before using this toner (refer to the Lighten Dark Spots treatment above). Use 1 part lemon juice and 2 parts water. If your skin is more sensitive, you may want to use less juice because it can be irritating to delicate skin. After 15 minutes, wipe your face with a cool washcloth to sooth your skin. Let it dry and apply your favorite moisturizer. 

For a Perfect Complexion: Ok, so this one might be a little out there- but wouldn’t we do anything for perfect skin? It’s been said that making a face mask using lemons and aspirin reduces redness and swelling and perfects the color and texture of your skin. You will need: 6 non-coated aspirin, 1 fresh lemon, and 3 tablespoons of baking soda. Dissolve the aspirin in the lemon juice, and then mix in the baking soda. Apply the paste to your face and leave the mask on for 10 minutes. Rinse with water and pat dry with a clean towel. Sounds a little weird, but it’s worth a try! 

Good luck and write a comment below on which recipe works the best for you! 

Her Campus at Emory University