This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Consistently heat treating your hair can be damaging and has some negative consequences in the long run. Hello split ends and stunted growth! At the same time, having a good hair day works wonders for the soul. As a result, the women in my family have passed down to me a couple tricks to style hair without heat and I am going to share them with you. 

It is important to note that because these involve your hair drying in a certain way, these methods take time and a little bit of planning. However, once you know what to do, they get faster and they save you time when you are getting ready for the day or night.

Below are two methods that style your hair without using heat:

1. Braids

As most of you know, when your hair is in a braid for a long time you get waves as a result. But with planning and different types of braids you can get a beach-wave bohemian look that can be the perfect addition to any outfit.

What you need: hair ties 

What to do: First you should shower and wash your hair. Then, depending on how much time you have, you should let your hair somewhat air dry. Otherwise, you can braid your hair straight out of the shower, but it will take longer to dry. In terms of braids, I generally do two French braids, but when I was younger I used to do 6 or 7 braids, with the top of my hair in two French braids and 4 underneath. The more braids you have the tighter the waves will be, but if you use 2 braids then you can wear the braids out of the house for the day. After letting your hair completely dry in the braids, you should be rocking waves after carefully unbraiding your hair.

Tips: Don’t brush your hair after you take your hair out of the braids, but do brush your hair well before braiding. If your hair has a tendency to frizz use a gel or mousse before braiding to prevent against that. Showering at night, and then sleeping in the braids is the best method, as long as they are completely dry the next morning.

2. Sock Curling

Sock curling, it is a long and unique tradition in my family. My mother used socks to curl my hair when I was little just as her mother had with her and my aunt. Though it takes a lot of time, it works wonders and can create runway worthy curls.

What you need: about 6 long, thin socks (available at Target, they usually come in packs by Fruit of the Loom and can generally be found in the kids section)

What to do: First you should shower and wash your hair the night before. Then let your hair almost completely dry, the underside of your hair even needs to be dry. Then part your hair into however many sections you want. I usually do 7 starting on the right side of my part and going around my head to the left. Gather one section and one sock, holding the sock perpendicular to the tip of your hair. Then carefully roll the hair around the sock towards your scalp, as if you were using a curling iron, and gather all of the hair around the sock. Bring the ends of the sock together and at least knot it, but double knots work the best. Continue that process with the rest of your hair. Then tricky part is now sleeping with them on. The next morning, when your hair is completely dry, untie the socks and then unwrap the sock. You should be left with ringlets. With your fingers, gently pull them apart and adjust your hair how you like!

Tips: Don’t put a sock directly behind your neck because that can make it hard to sleep. When you untie the sock, try holding it parallel to your hair and pulling it straight down so as to keep the ringlet even more intact.

Here are my cousins and me rocking the sock curls in the early 2000s, its a classic!

Student at Emory University
Her Campus at Emory University