Mardi Gras Alternatives

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

If you’re one of the select few staying on campus this weekend while the majority of Emory students flee to NOLA, keep in mind these activities to bring the “pardi” to the ATL.

With spring just around the corner, this weekend’s weather calls for some outdoor exploration. How often do you actually get out and sightsee around Atlanta on a typical weekend? While the rest of the student body is dartying, have your own daytime adventure and check out the Beltline, Ponce City Market, or the Botanical Gardens. If you’re looking to bring some zen to your Saturday, check out the 10 a.m. yoga class at Piedmont Park.

You don’t need to escape to another state to have a spa day. After the stress of midterms, you deserve to treat yourself! Book a mani/pedi at one of these Her Campus Emory certified spots. If you’re really feeling fancy, schedule a deep tissue massage and slip into spring break knot-free. Or, if you don’t want to be spendy, gather your fellow ATL friends and host your own spa day in your dorm or apartment.

Rather than sticking to your restaurant go-tos, use this weekend to explore the Atlanta foodie scene. Whether you’re craving southern fare, sushi, or trendy ice cream, and whether you want to be in Buckhead, Midtown or Little Five Points, the options are endless in this town. And if you can’t decide, check out Krog Street Market in Inman Park with food stalls to fit any taste.

Whether you’ve been in ATL for less than a year or four, it’s never too late to be a tourist in the city. The Skyview Ferris Wheel, High Museum of Art, Georgia Aquarium, CNN Studio, Stone Mountain Park and World of Coca-Cola are all great options. Or, to get in your workout while you explore, check out the 3-hour bike tours of the city.

We often forget how much Atlanta has to offer. This weekend is the perfect time to relax, catch up on work, but most importantly, have some fun in your very own college city. And, as for Mardi Gras, there’s always next year!

Her Campus at Emory University