Essential Tips for Easy Food Shopping

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Let’s face it. Going to the supermarket can sometimes be overwhelming, especially if you’re in a rush, you don’t remember what you really need or you’re looking for extremely specific items. Here are some tips to help make your shopping experience a bit easier, more enjoyable and more productive!

1. Remember your essentials

Everyone has those few items that they can’t live without. For me, I never leave the supermarket without some orange juice and pretzels. When you walk through the store, make sure to buy those items that you need to get through your week.  If you feel like you might run out of your essentials before the end of the week, it’s okay to stock up on them!

2. Make a shopping list

It might seem sily, but making a list of ingredients and items you need is extremely helpful so you don’t forget anything. This might involve planning meals for the week ahead of time, but doing this will ultimately ensure that you don’t have to run back to the store for a last-minute item. Also, don’t feel embarrassed if you are walking around with a shopping list; just embrace it! This list will keep you on track, organized and make your shopping experience more efficient.

3. Stock up on frozen items

As college students, we are usually pretty busy. For this reason, it can be nice to keep some frozen items in your freezer for when you are feeling a bit lazy or simply don’t have the time to cook a full-blown meal. Frozen meals are always a good backup, and items like frozen vegetables, ravioli and frozen chicken can be easy additions to any dish. Also, don’t forget to buy some ice cream for when you need a good pick-me-up!

4. Go for the bargain

It might seem easy to always buy the same brand or products, but you should also keep in mind that food is expensive. Make sure to look at all the prices when going through the store to ensure that you’re not wasting your money! A similar brand may offer the same taste for a cheaper price. Don’t be scared to branch out a little and save some money!

5. Remember your coupons / discount cards

If you use coupons, don’t forget to bring them to the store! They can definitely help you save up. Additionally, remember to utilize store cards, which often provide discounts on different items each week. If you forget your card, ask the cashier if you can give them the phone number that is associated with your card.

6. Don’t Overbuy         

We all do it. Sometimes items look so delicious in the supermarket that you just want to buy everything! Remember, if you aren’t going to eat it within a certain amount of time, it will probably go bad.  Only buy what you will realistically eat or utilize. But, remember it’s okay to grab a few extra snacks here and there.

With this being said, hopefully your next trip to the market will be a bit easier, less overwhelming and more enjoyable.  You won’t need to waste time roaming around the store if you plan ahead and follow the steps mentioned above. Happy shopping!

Her Campus at Emory University