bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Best Low Carb Substitutes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

Carbs. A staple in every college student’s diet. French fries, pasta, pizza, potato chips… The list is endless. I think that carbs may be one of the best food groups to exist, but sometimes you’re just feeling a little bloated or decide that you want to start eating better and carbs just won’t cut it. So here are some easy ways to swap out carbs in some of your favorite carb loaded foods.

1. “Zoodles”

One of my favorite substitutes is zucchini noodles. My mom bought me a veggie spiralizer last year and it quickly became one of my most used kitchen utensils. My favorite thing to make with the veggie noodles are stirfries because they’re simple and taste so good that you don’t even miss the regular noodles! You can also use sweet potato noodles which are just as good (if not better!) Another easy pasta swap out is using zucchini in lasagna instead of noodles!

1. Cauliflower Rice

Honestly, you can’t even tell the difference between the rice and cauliflower rice once it’s seasoned or covered in sauce. The texture is so similar to that of regular rice that it satisfies those carb cravings without the calories.

1. Cauliflower Pizza Crust

I would never be able to give up pizza. Hands down one of the best foods to eat when you are feeling lazy and just want some crap food. But by grabbing one of the frozen pizzas with cauliflower crust you don’t have to feel as guilty about it afterwards. Sometimes you can only find the basic cheese pizzas, so add your own toppings or start from scratch with a plain cauliflower pizza crust.

1. Sweet Potato Chips (or any veggie chips)

Terra sweet potato chips are life. And with hummus it honestly doesn’t get any better. Or, if you want to go the extra mile you can make your own by thinly slicing some sweet potatoes and roast them in the oven with some salt and olive oil (add cinnamon if you’re looking for something a little sweeter) until they become crispy! Terra also has a great variety of other veggie chips that are must tries (my personal favorite are the Mediterranean flavored).

1. Veggies and Hummus

Potato chips and hummus are my weakness, especially when they’re kettle cooked. I could eat an entire bag along with a tub of hummus in one sitting. But, after the fact I feel like crap and regret every bite. So now, when I’m not feeling the grease overload, I swap the potato chips for carrots or celery. Honestly, when I eat enough of them I start to crave carrots and hummus.

Indulge in your carbs on a semi-regular basis, because Lord knows we could all use them sometimes. It’s almost like a comfort food, where the soft fluffy crust of a pizza and the salty, crispy texture of a French fry can just make you feel like you’re at home. But these substitutes can satisfy those cravings when you also feel like being a little healthier.

Karina is a senior majoring in Anthropology and Human Biology at Emory University, currenlty contemplating what to do with her life post-graduation. In her free time she enjoys spending too much time on instagram and pinterest, traveling, eating too much food, watching Indie movies on Netflix, and going to concerts of her favortite punk rock bands. Most likely doing all of this with a cup of coffee in her hand. 
Hong Kong born and raised, Manishka is widely known for two things – her clumsiness and her ability to spend hours laughing at her own jokes! When she’s not busy trying to find out how she got her latest bruise, she can usually be found eating an avocado, while re-watching Gossip Girl for the 6th…no… 7th time! Her hobbies include raiding the fridge, stalking Doug the Pug on Instagram and trying to find out the secret ingredient in Krabby Patties.