6 Reasons to Call Mom Every Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emory chapter.

No matter how old you are, sometimes you just need your mom. Maybe you’ve had a long day or are really stressed about your next exam. Maybe you’re in need of advice or need someone to vent to. Honestly, there are so many reasons everyone should call their moms each day—it sounds excessive, but it’s so helpful. If you don’t already do it, you’re doing it all wrong. Here are some pretty valid reasons to call mom every day, even if you think you’ve outgrown that stage in your life.

1. She’s an Automatic Support System

No matter what the situation may be, your mom always has your back. You might have failed your chem test or just ruined the new shirt you purchased, but she will never fail to stop loving you and supporting you each day. She’s there for you when you’re crying and knows exactly how to make you feel better. She is your #1 fan and your cheerleader, and she always will be.

2. She Gives Good Advice

She gives the best advice on all situations. She probably knows you better than most people and especially knows how to help you when you’re down. She can tell when you’re upset from 700 miles away, even if you’re doing your best to hide it. Your mom probably knows the ins and outs of your friends, your classes, and your daily dilemmas, so she’s the best when it comes to assisting with any challenges you may be having.

3. She’s Always Honest

Whether you want it or not, sometimes you need someone to be honest with you and tell you how it is. Your mom may tell you things you don’t want to hear, but you have to remember that she’s doing it for your own benefit. She wants to teach you before you get hurt, prepare you before you have difficulties, and warn you before anything happens. She is always looking out for you in the best of ways, even if it doesn’t seem like it in the moment.

4. She’s a New Set of Ears

Just need someone to talk to about things that your friends are sick of hearing about? Or need someone that doesn’t fully know every detail already? Your mom is obviously ready to just sit back and listen to all that is going on in your life. She doesn’t judge you (or at least tries not to) and won’t interrupt anything until the full story is complete. She trusts your opinion over others’ and will offer an outsider’s perspective.

5. She’s Lonely Without You

Without you being around all the time, she misses you! In fact, that’s probably an understatement. While you’re off at college, she misses the little things like doing your laundry, making your dinners, and yelling at you to make your bed.

6. She’ll Stop Texting You All the Time (Maybe)

Sometimes moms get nervous when you don’t respond to their texts within 10 minutes (or 10 seconds for some). As a result, they’ll end up sending you a million texts until you reply. Others just send a bunch of texts full of questions that you really just don’t have time to type out replies to. If you simply make a phone call, it’s easier to fully communicate the full story on whatever she may be asking you.

With all of that said, do the right thing and call your mom everyday. You’ll probably be glad you did—and she surely will be too!

Her Campus at Emory University