Wellness > Mental Health

When the Lights are on, but Nobody’s Home: Changing your Mindset

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

We all have bad days, and we know that some days are worse than others. It’s important for us all to acknowledge our thoughts and emotions every day, but especially this week during Mental Health Awareness week. Being a college student is a lot of work in general, but let’s throw a global pandemic and living at home again on top of it, and it can feel like the lights are on and there’s nobody home. In other words: you’re awake, but your mind is blank. Stress is normal, but there are ways to manage it, some better than others. Here are skills I wish someone told me about as a freshman in college before I moved to school. So, now as a senior, I’m here and ready to finally share them with others. 

1. You don’t need CONSTANT VALIDATION.

You are your own person. It’s nice to be complimented and adored by others, but at the end of the day, you validate yourself. Do what makes you happy.

2. You can’t force people to want to STICK WITH YOU. 

People come and go. You can’t force people to be with you and support everything you do. If it makes you happy and it feeds your aspirations, take it and run.

3. Your weight does not DEFINE YOU. 

The size of your body does not symbolize the amount of love you should give yourself! It’s simply a scale with numbers. If you’re healthy and happy, that’s all that matters.

4. Get rid of things that don’t make you happy.

For me personally, social media can be a hot girl bummer. Delete it! Unfollow accounts and people that don’t bring you joy! This also goes for tangible items and people. When you’re ready, get rid of your ex’s stuff, meet new people, and make new friends. Trust me, you’ll feel better.

5. Do things that MAKE YOU HAPPY.

Go for a walk, do some yoga, and eat that bowl of mac and cheese!

6. It’s okay to be ALONE and INDEPENDENT. 

You won’t always have someone with you, but that’s okay. It’s okay to sit and watch a movie on Saturday night with a bucket of popcorn to accompany you. Instead of saying that you’re lonely, switch it to “I am strong and independent!” Independence is a beautiful thing.

7. Accept the challenges of PERSONAL GROWTH.

We are humans! We grow out of things, ideas, and relationships. Accept each change as the end of a chapter, but also the beginning of a new story!

8. BE NICE to yourself. It’s okay to NOT BE OKAY.

I promise you will have bad days where you want to look in the mirror and scream at yourself. Don’t. Instead, tell yourself that it’s okay to not be okay and that you will get through it. 

9. EMBRACE those that are there to support you.

Sometimes the most beautiful people come into your life in your darkest times. If they’re willing to see you at your worst and accept you, let them and embrace that.

These last two don’t need an explanation. They stand alone and make perfect sense. 

10. YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL.

11. Lastly, you’ll make it.

Another skill I acquired through my time at school was the process of building an affirmation regimen that I use every day. Affirmations are positive statements that empower you, build your confidence, and allow you to depend on yourself to make you happy. I know brainstorming and saying positive things about yourself can be hard, especially on days when your mind is taking you nowhere but down, but here are mine: 

You are intelligent. You are beautiful. You are strong. You are brave. You are enough. You are worth the world and more.

I am a Biology major with a concentration in health sciences at Emmanuel College. In my free time I like to scuba dive and paint!
Carly Silva

Emmanuel '21

Carly is a senior at Emmanuel College pursuing a major in English Writing, Editing, and Publishing, as well as Communications and Media Studies. She loves to write and has a particular fondness for poetry. Carly also loves reading on the beach, playing music, and hanging out with her dog, Mowgli.