This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Have you ever wondered how different ages deal with stress or what they get stressed from? For a five-year-old it may be throwing a temper tantrum after trying to learn your ABC’s, writing in your journal, or taking a nice walk after a long day at work for an adult.

While stress certainly isn’t easy to manage at any age, it can become more difficult to cope as you get older for several reasons. First, your body can’t physically handle stress the same way it did when you were younger. 

Here are some helpful tips for any age that can help them manage that stress:

Children:  

It is your child’s first day of preschool. They don’t want to go in on the fear of meeting new friends and leaving you. They throw a crying fit. As an adult, even though it is hard to see a child cry let them cry it out, it is not good to hold it in. Let them know saying goodbye isn’t going to be forever and you will be back. In general, it is good to teach little kid techniques to deal with their stress. Like counting to 5, coloring in a color book, or just talking with them about anything. 

Adolescents:

From firsthand experience, waiting for my first period to arrive to applying to college was some roller coaster. Adolescence is where the peak of stress and emotions will be overwhelming. To make sure teens are getting the relaxation they need, exercise, and eat regularly. Get enough sleep and have a good sleep routine. Avoid excess caffeine which can increase feelings of anxiety and agitation.(although with the amount of work college students have it is understandable). Avoid illegal drugs, alcohol, and tobacco. Taking a warm shower and shaving your legs during the shower can be helpful. I 100% recommend it!  Singing at the tops of your lungs will release those unheard words. 

Adults:

Lost a job? Buying a house? It is ok. Adults can figure it out. The first factor that comes to mind is: money. How will they be able to afford anything? Money isn’t everything. The only thing in the world that matters is your family and your mental state. As you grow up, you realize it is ok to talk to somebody about your problems because you can’t handle what you are going through on your own. Just like teens, try to get plenty of sleep, eat right, exercise, and keep a normal routine. By keeping yourself healthy, you will be better able to handle a tough time. Take information breaks. Pictures and stories about a disaster can increase worry and other stressful feelings.

Senior citizens: 

Senior citizens—geez, they are like gods and goddesses. They know what it is like to live through the positives and difficulties of life. They are cool as cucumbers. 

Stress is a natural physical and mental reaction to life experiences. Everyone expresses stress from time to time. Anything from everyday responsibilities like work and family to serious life events such as a new diagnosis, war, or the death of a loved one can trigger stress. My advice to anyone of any age is, avoid the negative, surround yourself with friends and family who make you happy, try some yoga, take care of your mental health, and never forget: no one is alone!

Just a girl waiting to be in Boston!!
Carly Silva

Emmanuel '21

Carly is a senior at Emmanuel College pursuing a major in English Writing, Editing, and Publishing, as well as Communications and Media Studies. She loves to write and has a particular fondness for poetry. Carly also loves reading on the beach, playing music, and hanging out with her dog, Mowgli.