Wellness

An Open Letter to Sh*tty 30 Day Challenges

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Photo by mentatdgt from Pexels

Okay, we get it Pinterest. It’s January so you’re promoting that crappy “New year, new me” mindset. Don’t get me wrong, I need to hit the gym and all, but I really don’t want to. Like, I really hate it. I don’t want to run in place on a tredmill for 2 hours, I don’t want to do a 4 minute plank, and I absolutely, positively, do NOT want to see another one of those crappy “30 day challenges” AGAIN. I mean seriously, 4 reps of 20 burpees? On the first day of the cycle? I mean yeah, I’m looking for fast results but I don’t want to put any real effort into it. Like, I honestly would rather take an arrow to the knee (are people still saying that?) than bench press half my body weight. 

Well, I might be exageratting a little. And sure, I might have some commitment issues that I’m tryna’ work through. But those 30 day challenges suck. I mean really, really suck! If you want to make a healthy change in your routine, try creating your own workout that suits your specific body type and needs. Start off small, don’t over work yourself at your first trip to the gym in 5 years, or else you’ll be outta’ comission for a week and then never go back again. If a 10lb dumbell is too heavy for your arm circles, there’s no shame in going down to 5.

30 Day challenges do nothing but make you feel bad about yourself, because half the time your body isn’t ready to jump all in at once. And that’s okay! Do what you are comfortable doing. Because in reality, all that really matters is that you’re trying your best to improve your health. 

Odds are, you’re not going to get the exact results you see in those fancy pictures online. It’s definitely going to take more time and commitment to get you in a place where you’re comfortable. So, start small, work your way up to those 4 reps of 20 burpees, and don’t let the fear of not completing your 30 Day Challenge deter you from getting out there. A click-bate article on Pinterest about losing 50lbs in 4 days isn’t going to do you a whole lot of good. So screw those 30 day challenges, make the most of your work out by doing whatever makes you comfortable, and only push yourself when you’re ready to. 

Sincerely, 

Ya girl who needs a better system…  

Makenzie is a current Senior at Emmanuel College studying Communications + Media Cultural Studies and Performing Arts. (Try saying that three times fast...) She's been a part of her school's Her Campus chapter since it's very first semester, and has been chapter advising for 2 years. Makenzie is also a National Writer for HC's beauty section, Campus Trendsetter, and former HC Community Development Intern. Makenzie is incredibly excited to be finishing up her last semester as Co-Campus Correspondent of HC Emmanuel. Interested in joining yourself? Hit her up anytime!