This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

I want to start off by saying that everybody is beautiful! Social media constantly pushes these ideals into our heads of what a “perfect body” looks like; the truth is there is no perfect body. I first started going to the gym to acquire a physique and wanted to be as skinny as possible, but that wasn’t healthy. I also made many mistakes, and wish I had someone to tell me what is actually worth the trouble and what isn’t. So, that’s what this is! I also want to mention I am by no means a personal trainer or licensed in anything fitness but as someone who has worked out seriously for five years now, this is what has worked for me.

Do not believe everything you see on Social Media

One of my first mistakes when getting serious about the gym was going onto social media and trying anything or doing anything I saw on my page. Whether it is on YouTube, Instagram, or TikTok, just because someone is saying “this 100% works!” doesn’t mean it will work for you. Trial and error is something you will experience in the gym, I used to think if I did an eight-week program I would suddenly look like a new person. I am not saying that everything you see is bad, but make sure you do your research. Some fitness influencers I love are Whitney Simmons, GainsbyBrains, KKfit, and Brittany Lupton. As you go on your fitness journey you will discover influencers who motivate you and train the way you want to.

Equipment

I spent so much money on things I didn’t need and never used. Your equipment will be based on how you train and what kind of weight you’re lifting. As a beginner, you’re just going to want a good pair of sneakers and headphones/earbuds. A sneaker I can’t live without is the Nike Pegasus, but again it depends on what kind of exercise you’re doing. I am a short-medium distance runner and lift 4-5 times a week, so those sneakers work great for me. I am more of an earbuds girl, so I prefer my Air Pod Pros but if you prefer headphones I recommend the Bose ones. Things like Barbell pads, lifting straps, ankle straps, and lifting belts all come later when you’re lifting more weight. 

Clothes

Do not feel pressured to spend a bunch of money on gym clothes, but I am a firm believer of look good, feel good! Some brands I personally love are Gymshark and Lululemon, I always buy from the clearance section, but it’s worth it.

Lastly, remember this is a journey, if you are consistent and work hard any goal you have will be reached! I believe in you and believe in yourself. Good luck on your journey, follow @Juliannaxroax on TikTok for more inspiration!

Julianna Roa

Emmanuel '25

I am the event coordinator of Her Campus at Emmanuel College. I am 20 years old, Colombian and play soccer at Emmanuel. I am currently a junior with a major in Communications and a minor Marketing. I love to workout and am always working on being the best version of myself.