nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Have You Ever Lost Yourself?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Photo by Nicole Mason on Unsplash

Well, have you?

We all know what it feels like. It’s that rock in your throat that never ceases to make you feel like you’re drowning, and no matter how hard you try to gasp for air, you get nothing. You feel nothing. Everything is empty, bleak, and there’s nothing you can do about it. It’s that burning sensation, the one that creeps up your spine and paralyzes your thoughts. That “I’ll never know what to do with the rest of my life, so what’s the point” feeling. It can consume every single one of us, at any point in time. For some of us, it a constant nagging that eats away at us forever. For others, it’s less often, but just as painful.

These feelings can be brought on by unexpected change, or maybe difficult decisions, or even something as simple as a bitter remark by someone important to you. You can’t control these. So what are you supposed to do about them?

Just. Breathe.

What seems impossible today, might just be the thing that gets you through tomorrow. There’s nothing more difficult than experiencing the unimaginable, but those experiences are what make us human. They build up our armor against the world, and can mean the difference between failure and success. You will never be a disappointment. You will never be a failure. We are all doing the best we can to fight our demons.

Never let the fear of moving on, keep you from living your life. There will always be something to move forward to.

Makenzie is a current Senior at Emmanuel College studying Communications + Media Cultural Studies and Performing Arts. (Try saying that three times fast...) She's been a part of her school's Her Campus chapter since it's very first semester, and has been chapter advising for 2 years. Makenzie is also a National Writer for HC's beauty section, Campus Trendsetter, and former HC Community Development Intern. Makenzie is incredibly excited to be finishing up her last semester as Co-Campus Correspondent of HC Emmanuel. Interested in joining yourself? Hit her up anytime! 
Gianna is a freshman at Emmanuel College and is really excited to see what this year has in store for her. Along with writing for Her Campus, Gianna participates in Yoga Club, Zumba Club, and Colleges of the Fenway Dance Project. In her free time, you will most likely find her watching Friends and sipping tea out of her Central Perk mug.