Adapting to COVID Life as a College Student Online

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

The COVID-19 pandemic has affected everyone across the world physically, and especially, mentally. The new lifestyle of being socially distanced from the people you love limits social interaction, which can take a huge toll on your mental health. This year, as I entered college with high expectations and saw them crumble in front of me as my college went remote for this semester, I realized how important it is to maintain my mental health in weird times like these. Seeing my friends move into their dorms and meeting new people has left me feeling lonely and left out. I feel as though I am struggling more with my social life than my academics. I have talked to other students who have also expressed they are feeling this way too. It is a good feeling to know there are other people in the same boat and feeling like this is completely normal. For all of the college students who are remote this year and having a hard time with this adjustment, here are some strategies I found useful for adapting to college online: 

1. Reach out to someone

Social interaction is extremely limited due to the pandemic, but also with school in full session, life seems so busy and distracting from taking care of yourself first. Taking the time to talk to a close friend or family member and explain how you feel, can relieve stress and possibly receive some advice. Or talking about casual topics can make life feel normal at that moment and feel as if they are with you. Maybe even begin to set a routine to talk to each other and make it a priority to stay in touch. This can further maintain a good relationship with each other while keeping up with a consistent social life, even if it is over the phone. 

2. Take time for yourself

Doing things that you love and making it into a habit can help make remote learning tolerable. Setting time aside for yourself, instead of constantly doing homework will cause you to look forward to something. Listening to your favorite music, going for a walk, or baking your favorite dessert are all ways to focus your energy on what makes you happy and take the mind off of the current situation. My current favorite thing to do when I want to take time for myself is watching Halloween movies. Now that fall is here, getting festive with watching scary movies or carving pumpkins can be fun to do at home. 

3. Reset your Space

Bedrooms are now being used as temporary offices as many students are remote, and after an 8 am class, laying in your bed for the rest of the day is tempting. In order to be productive, a workspace must be organized and designated for the purpose of completing assignments. Therefore, sometimes those spaces need a little added spice to make it a comfy but productive spot. My favorite stores that sell affordable and cute office décor is Amazon, Marshalls/ HomeGoods, and even Five Below! Adding fairy lights or an inspirational quote on the wall can give a workspace a new type of vibe, and ready to tackle those assignments! 

2020 has been a very unconventional year and has taught me how to deal with the unexpected. Spending my freshman year of college at home was not what I expected, and neither did the other millions of college students. Although, within this spare time and adjustment, I have been able to realize who I am as a student and person. Social interaction is very important to me, and I would have never fully realized this if it wasn’t for the pandemic. Mental health is such an important thing to be recognized. Notice what your body is feeling and what is possibly causing you to feel this way. Don’t ignore those emotions, as they are relevant to your overall well being. Practicing self-care will encourage better habits and help to deal with the harsh effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. Always reach out to professional resources, such as school counselors, who will assist you through these challenging times!

Sofia Chiarizio

Emmanuel '24

My name is Sofia Chiarizio and I am a freshman at Emmanuel College, intending to major in Biology. In my free time I love to hang out with my friends and family, and watch The Office!
Carly Silva

Emmanuel '21

Carly is a senior at Emmanuel College pursuing a major in English Writing, Editing, and Publishing, as well as Communications and Media Studies. She loves to write and has a particular fondness for poetry. Carly also loves reading on the beach, playing music, and hanging out with her dog, Mowgli.