This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

It’s essential to know what your skin is saying to you, especially with winter right around the corner. As the seasons change, your skin can too! Throughout my college experience, I’ve learned some valuable information I wish I could tell my high school self; she certainly would have benefited from it! Keep on reading for some helpful tips and tricks about how to keep your skin looking fresh

1. Always wash your makeup off at night

This is possibly one of the most important things you need to add to your routine if it’s not already part of it! It’s essential to cleanse your skin and free your pores. Otherwise, you’re risking clogging your pores which can lead to the inevitable breakout. This counts if you go bare-faced, too! Throughout the day, your skin is exposed to bacteria and parabens in the air, and it’s always best to have a fresh face before bed.

2. Purchase an exfoliant, or make a DIY version, and use it a few times a week

Exfoliating has easily become one of my favorite parts of my face regimen. While using a gentle cleanser gets makeup off, exfoliating ensures you’re getting any dirt or dead skin cells out of your pores. You guessed it; clear pores lead to the dream–clear skin. The St. Ives Oatmeal Nourished and Smooth Scrub & Mask is what I’m currently using and I love how it not only scrubs the day away, but leaves my skin feeling soft afterward. Make sure you only use it a few times a week and not every day, or you may make your skin particularly sensitive.

3. Moisturize your skin every morning and night

Moisturizer is a life saver. Although you shouldn’t use a cleanser that leaves your skin extremely dry, or an exfoliant that rubs your skin raw, products can certainly leave your skin parched. Moisturizer rehydrates your skin and helps immensely with dry skin. When winter comes, I find my skin naturally gets drier and is prone to flakiness (not cute, I know), and using moisturizer every morning and night helps get me through the cold, harsh weather.

Keep in mind that oily skin needs to be moisturized, too! Often times, oily skin indicates that your skin is dehydrated, and the oil produced is your skin’s way of trying to naturally hydrate itself.

4. Try to incorporate masks into your routine

This actually may be one of my most favorite tips! Not only has it benefitted my skin tremendously, but masks are fun and serve as a little “you time”. There are many different types of masks on the market and they all do different things for your skin. A charcoal mask is great to pull the gunk from deep within your pores to get a really thorough cleanse; my personal favorite is the Glam Glow Super Mud mask, but a great alternative I’ve been loving is Say Yes to Tomatoes Detoxifying Charcoal Mud Mask. If your skin is dry, try a hydrating mask! There are also masks that can help brighten skin or relieve redness. Do a little research, and I guarantee you’ll find a mask for your particular skin needs!

5. Recognize what your “skin type” is and purchase foundation and products accordingly

A quick Google search provides the following skin types: normal, oily, combination, sensitive, dry, among others. Everyone’s skin is different, and certain things work for certain people, but knowing your skin type can prove to be helpful. This took me a while to learn, but once I understood I have a normal/combination skin type, I was enlightened.

My skin is slightly oilier in the warmer months and drier in the colder months. I was able to purchase foundations that worked well with either spectrum. While some people enjoy the dewy look, I prefer to choose when I want to look luminous and not let my oil speak for itself, so I use a matte foundation in the summer up until winter. That’s when I’ll use a foundation with a more natural finish for when my skin is dry and needs a little livening up. Likewise, you can purchase the appropriate facial mask based on your skin type in order to benefit it the most. But ultimately, your look is your choice–rock the skin you’re most comfortable in!

6. Fake it ‘til you make it

I just recently discovered this lifesaver: using green concealer to hide irritated blemishes or red spots. While I always understood the purpose of color correcting, I never practiced it…until about a month or so ago. I decided I wanted to test it out for myself and purchased the mint colored NYX HD Studio Photogenic Concealer to use on any blemishes or red spots underneath my foundation. I was, and still am, mind blown! Ever since I’ve used this trick, I have received countless compliments about how great my skin looks. To top it off, I feel much more confident knowing I’m rocking a flawless face!

7. Increase your H2O Intake

My final tip is the most obvious: drink water! A lot of it! This may have benefited my skin the most. Water keeps your skin hydrated, and not only that, but drinking water simply makes you feel better.

With finals coming up, stress is inevitable. Don’t let it get the best of you–or your skin! Try to incorporate some of these tips and tricks into your routine and you’ll be sure to see positive results. Make sure you give us a shoutout  in your next flawless selfie! HCXO

Lauren is a Junior at Emmanuel College, and is the chapter's co-managing editor. After exploring different areas of study, she declared her major as English-Communications, and is double minoring in Management and Gender Studies. Her interests include getting lost in a good book, adventuring around the beautiful city of Boston, laughing, and admiring beauty gurus on Instagram and Youtube. If she isn't contemplating her next purchase at Sephora, you'll most likely find Lauren with either tea or coffee in hand, striving to be like Leslie Knope from Parks and Recreation, or making her boyfriend call her cell phone just so she can listen to her The-Office-theme-song ringtone. 
Sammy is a senior at Emmanuel College, majoring in English: Communications & Media Studies with a minor in Music-Theater. She discovered Her Campus through College Fashion Week: Boston, and has since re-launched Emmanuel's chapter and become a National Intern. On campus, Sammy gives weekly tours as an Admissions Ambassador, is a member of the Honors Program and stars in an as many theatrical productions as possible. She was also an Orientation Leader for the Class of 2019. Outside of school, she works as a sales associate at Charlotte Russe and manages a personal style blog called Backyard Beauty. An obsessive organizer, social media addict and fashion maven, Sammy dreams of living a lavish life as a magazine contributor in New York City after graduation. Follow her on Twitter @sammysays19 and Instagram @backyardbeautyxo or visit backyardbeautyxo.tumblr.com/.