This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Everything is virtual now. Without our computers, we wouldn’t be able to attend Zoom classes or meetings or rewatch beloved TV shows and movies. As we move into the future and with technology advancing, there is no getting around it. We will become more reliant on it in our everyday lives, I have no doubt about that. 

But even if we love to be on our computers for long hours, for a few minutes or so, we have to say, “I need a break.” We have to take a breather and rest. Here are a few reasons why I think we need to take a step back from our computers. 

YouTube application on laptop
Photo by NordWood Themes from Unsplash

1. Mentally Exhausting 

I can stay on my laptop day in and day out. However, when the screen’s bright white glow is reflecting onto my face for a while, it becomes mentally exhausting. When I am reading homework or after my virtual flute and voice lessons, even if I have only been on my laptop for a couple of hours, my brain feels as if all energy has been drained, and it makes me sleepy. When I have to push through this for a couple more hours, I can’t focus, I do my work slower, I feel like a zombie doing my readings. It feels as if nothing in my head is processing, and I have to squeeze out the answers so that I can do my best. This takes twice the effort and energy, so by the time everything is finished I crash into my comfy bed. For me, there is a relief when I get to close my computer and say, “I’m done.” I’ve learned that when I am mentally exhausted, it manifests physically too. Pushing yourself too much can not only cause you to not perform at your best but it puts your health at risk too. We don’t want this. I am constantly reminded by my family that my health goes first. Let’s prioritize it. 

2. Eye Strain 

Apart from that, if I haven’t taken a break the entire day and I am just on my laptop zooming through the homework that is due, it puts a strain on my eyes. There are days when I am doing homework that this burning pain gradually builds up, or when I look into a mirror I see these thin red lines in my eyes. I blink my eyes a bit more, hoping that the pain will go away, It doesn’t. Our eyes are sensitive and they can only handle so much screen time. Limiting our screen time is ideal, however, with how life is now, with homework and school being both online, it makes it difficult. On top of that, if you don’t have perfect eyesight, being on our screens for too long can change our refractive-grade, possibly making it worse. When I close my computer, the pain remains and it sticks around. The pain may be bearable although I would be lying if I didn’t tell you that it adds stress when I am doing an activity. 

3. Headaches

On that note, with eye strain come occasional headaches. There was a time when I could feel the pain in my eyes burning, simultaneously, at my right temples there was this throbbing pulse like a metronome. As it continues to beat, there would be this one count where the pain was unbearable. All I wanted to do was to close my eyes and relax. If I had to do work and look at the screen, it would go away, which was surprising. The second I step away from the computer, the burn and the pulse struck hard—worse than the first time. Although, there were times when I didn’t have eye strains and still had headaches. I would put essential oils on my head and temples to relieve the pain, massaging my head so that I couldn’t feel the aches. But for every time I felt relief, equally, there were plenty of moments when the essential oils didn’t help me. Not only does this add unnecessary stress, but it also distracted me from the tasks I needed to do. Worst of all, it makes me frustrated because I am unable to enjoy all my classes. 

4. Dizziness

When I stand up from my seat and step away from my computer, there are times where I feel like I just stepped out of a different world. My head spins a bit and it takes a few minutes for it to stop. However, when I am on my laptop, my head resumes spinning. I put my hand to my head to try and stop it from spinning and to gain control. It continues. Dizziness, for me, is a sign that my body is tired and that it wants to rest. If I have to attend classes and stay up for them, this is the last thing that I want. This makes it hard for me to listen to what my professor and classmates are saying. I feel light-headed so I know nothing is processing. I end up just passively hearing what is being said, but not necessarily remembering what was said in class. If something is processing in my head, it takes a bit more time to process and understand what is happening. It makes me tired throughout the day. This drains my energy even more and hinders me from getting my tasks done because all I think about is how I don’t feel well. 

5. Hand and Wrist Pain 

Hand and wrist pain is one of the worst things I have experienced in online classes so far. Some days, I am writing my essays, discussion boards, stories for class, as well as doing my readings. Suddenly, as I am writing I feel this tingling sensation coming in through my wrist or even my fingers. There is this numbing ache that comes and goes. If not, I feel this sharp pain in my hands that makes them numb when I move. I drop everything. I go back to typing, the pain becomes worse, it lingers even longer than before and seems as if it won’t go away. I can catch it some days, others it just hits all at once, with no warning whatsoever. At its worst, a simple activity like holding a pen is too tedious. I want to cry whenever I experience it. I want to do something, but I can’t. If I have to do work that is due soon, it is torture. When I rest it, it still hurts. It feels as if the discomfort is inevitable and can’t be avoided. Overlooking this and choosing to work makes it worse in the long run since it can lead to other hand and wrist problems, and even surgery if not taken care of. If you haven’t experienced this, avoid it at all costs. Take breaks in between your work, rest, stretch, do what you can to prevent this. 

Shut off your computers and treat yourself to a screen-glaring-free day. We all need to call a time-out once in a while.

Belle Tan

Emerson '23

Belle Tan is a senior at Emerson College majoring in Creative Writing with a minor in Publishing and Music History and Culture. During her free time, she enjoys playing the flute, singing, reading, writing, and spending time with family and friends.
Emerson contributor