This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

If you’ve received too many emails lately that start with “I hope this email finds you well” when the email did not in fact find you well, this article’s for you. There’s nothing wrong with letting your emotions out via a good crying session, but what you do after crying can have a big impact on your mood moving forward. Here are some things to do to turn that frown upside down!

• Drink some water

Crying can definitely lead to dehydration. Be sure to have a tall glass of water to get some of that hydration back. It also helps with the headache some people get after crying.

• Call a friend

A great way to improve your mood is talking to a friend. Call someone you’re close with to talk about anything. Some people find it helpful to discuss what’s bothering them, others like to bring up different topics as a helpful distraction from the situation. Either way, hearing a familiar voice is a great way to calm down.

• Engage in some self care

Self care looks different for everyone, but it’s always helpful after a long cry. You can try watching a favorite TV show or movie, taking a warm bath or shower, or even writing in a journal. Take some time to be kind to yourself.

Crying is a healthy way to release stress, but keep in mind that most things are temporary. Take a deep breath and get back out there!

Disclaimer: If your mood has severely deteriorated to the point of crying much more often than you’re used to, please contact a mental health professional. Help is out there.

Grace is a sophomore Business of Creative Enterprises student at Emerson College from New York and North Carolina. She’s passionate about theatre, television, writing, and fried chicken.
Emerson contributor