Wellness > Mental Health

Self-care reminders heading into early sunsets and cold weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Now that daylight savings has taken effect, days are ending far too soon with the sun beginning to set before 5 p.m. Colder weather is moving in and chilling wind is blowing down Boylston. It’s hard to do much more than retreat back into the safety of your warm bed and hibernate until April.

However, it is important to make sure you are still getting outside and doing the things you love! Here are a few ways to check in on yourself and make the most of winter. 

Assess your mental health and reach out if you need support

Many people are affected by seasonal affective disorder (SAD) from the changing of seasons, usually beginning in the fall. This type of depression can get worse in late fall and early winter. It is important to check in with your own mental health and assess whether you are being negatively impacted by the seasonal change. 

If you feel like you are struggling, reach out to your family and friends for support. You can also talk to a therapist about how you’re feeling for more professional help. Journaling can be a good tool to assess your own mental health and reflect.

Engage in self-care activities

If you are not feeling well, take a moment for yourself. You deserve to take a break and unwind after or during a busy week. So put on a face mask, light a candle, drink hot chocolate, or watch an episode of your comfort show. Lean into the magic of comfy, indoor activities to make the cold weather feel less dreary. 

Go outside!

I know it’s getting colder, but you still need fresh air and sunlight! Go outside even if it’s just to take a short walk for coffee or make a whole event out of it by going ice skating or sledding when it starts snowing. Drag your friends out with you for moral support on the super chilly days.

Invite friends over for wine and movie nights

Reach out to your close friends to have fun nights in your apartment or dorm room! Host themed gatherings like wine nights or movie screenings to elevate indoor events. You can eat snacks, talk, and bundle up in warm blankets. 

Most of all, make sure you are feeling the best you possibly can. You got this!

Maddie Browning is a senior journalism major with environmental studies and publishing minors at Emerson College. She is a freelance writer for the Living and Arts sections at The Boston Globe. Browning covers music, comedy, books, travel, romance, and fashion.