This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Working out is beneficial for both mental and physical health, and is arguably more important now than ever. Getting into the gym is always easier when you know you have a hype playlist—read on to hear some of my favorite jams to listen to while on the spin bike, lifting weights, or completing a killer ab workout. 

Workout partner
Photo by Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels

“Body” by Megan Thee Stallion

It’s no secret that Megan Thee Stallion’s newest album Good News broke the internet when it was released in November of 2020. The album is filled with songs that make women feel empowered and in tune with their sexuality. One of my personal favorites is “Body”; as I work to make my own body stronger it’s awesome to listen to a song that celebrates the female figure. Not to mention, the upbeat and catchy chorus helps to make squatting and exercises with resistance bands feel like a breeze. 

“I Am (feat. Flo Milli)” by Yung Baby Tate

The lyrics “I am healthy, I am wealthy, I am rich” are so motivating, especially as I am trying to reach my healthiest and best self at the gym. Since this song is slower than some of the others on this list, it’s a great one to listen to as you’re doing squats or lifting weights, because you can really concentrate on having control over your movements and engaging every muscle. 

“Juicy” by Doja Cat feat. Tyga

The first time I heard the song “Juicy,” I was in a cycling class on the spin bike. We were completing a leg and glute exercise and since the song is talking about how proud Doja Cat is of her booty, it was a perfect fit. One of my gym goals is to grow my booty, and so this song is great motivation and another track that makes me feel empowered by my body and sexuality. Tyga’s verse is fire, making this the perfect jam to do a cardio, leg, or booty exercise to. 

“Post Malone (feat. RANI)” – Sam Feldt Remix

The first time I heard this remix was also in spin class. There is a mix of some high energy parts and some more mellow parts as well, making this jam great for sprinting and really pushing yourself towards the end of your workout, with some rests in between. 

“LLC” by Nicki Minaj

“LLC” is one of my favorite songs to run to; the steady beat helps me to keep up my speed and stamina while on the treadmill. Specifically, the lyric “look at what they made me do, they made me do” makes me feel like a bad bitch and want to work extra hard to achieve my goals. The part where Nicki sings, “there’ll never be another one after me” also reminds me to never forget my worth as I am working out. 

“Hot Girl Bummer” by blackbear

I am a huge fan of blackbear and “Hot Girl Bummer” is a song that reminds me of fun times at parties with my friends or having a dance party in my room. Sometimes when I am working out, I have moments when I think I won’t be able to complete an exercise because I am tired or don’t feel strong enough. This song reminds me to have fun while I work out, and can act as a distraction through some of the difficult moments.

“Dior” by Pop Smoke

All of Pop Smoke’s music can arguably bring up the energy in any room. Any song off of Reach for the Stars helps me keep up my stamina in the gym, but the deep vocals off “Dior” are definitely a favorite of mine. 

“DNA” by Kendrick Lamar

I love working out to any song by Kendrick, but “DNA” is definitely one of my favorites, especially when I am running. I am not the best at running, but this song never fails to hype me up and helps me push through the mile on a treadmill. 

“Fade Away” by Logic

There is something about “Fade Away” that makes me want to run and do cardio. I don’t listen to a lot of Logic’s music but I think this is one of his best songs, and it can be great for ab workouts as well. 

Goddamn (feat. A Boogie)

A Boogie is one of my favorite artists along with Tyga, making the energy of this song immaculate. I really enjoy listening to this while on the spin bike, while lifting weights, stretching before a workout— really just whenever I am in the gym.   

Erin Renzi

Emerson '23

Erin is a junior studying journalism with a minor in publishing at Emerson College. She spends her free time in the gym, taking yoga and cycling classes, and trying out different restaurants and boba spots in Boston. Her obsession of Taylor Swift and cats make up a big part of her personality — and she's proud of that. Erin is an editor and writer for several publications on Emerson's campus and hopes to be a sex and relationships writer, style or beauty editor or music critic for a magazine in the future. Watch out, Cosmo!