College Women Freeze Eggs
College Women Freeze Eggs
Molly Longest / Her Campus
Wellness

Lessons From My Sudden Diagnosis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Throughout the later part of 2018 and into 2019, I began experiencing weird sensations in my throat. I’d had allergies throughout my childhood—most notably horrible bouts of asthma that had me wheezing violently, so I did not recognize this as an allergy. On several occasions I had to spit up food I was unable to swallow, but I still did not think much of it. When I mentioned it to my doctor she told me that it was something everyone experiences. After a quick ten minute chat about my symptoms, she prescribed me an acid-reflux medicine.

During the summer of 2019 I found that the medicine had stopped the problems with my swallowing, and I was off living my best life abroad. That is, until the last day of my study abroad trip in Fiji. I choked in such a way that my reflexes had to take over in order to suck oxygen into my lungs. As I leaned over the toilet while spitting up water, I knew it had been a life-threatening situation. I also knew that I needed to see a professional as soon as possible. 

There are doctors standing in the hallway of a hospital.
Oles Kanebckuu
Arriving home my family immediately booked an x-ray of my throat. The procedure was incredibly traumatic; I was terrified of swallowing the liquid that would allow the x-ray to outline my esophagus. The flimsy hospital gown and the whirring of the machine added to my distress. It only made it worse when I was made to swallow a 5 millimeter pill. The doctors watched its progression on the x-ray before coming back into the room to face me. 

“So the pill won’t go down. Do you often feel like this when you swallow? Do you want some water? We just need to take a few more… okay?”

Although I eventually did manage to swallow the pill, the realization coupled with the x-ray images changed my life forever. My esophagus was so narrow I wasn’t able to swallow a 5 millimeter pill without it getting stuck. The realization that something’s been wrong and you haven’t been paying close attention is devastating. I felt as if it was my fault for letting my throat get so bad. 

Fast forward three surgeries to scope my throat, two special elimination diets, and a diagnosis of EOE (eosinophilic esophagitis), I am still learning how to come to terms with my condition and what it means for the future. 

Through this sudden diagnosis, I feel more intuned with my body. I listen more attentively when my health is not “normal”, and I don’t let people dismiss my intuitions that something is wrong. At first I was terrified that the surgeries would go wrong, and I would end up with rips or tears in my esophagus. I’ve now accepted that I do not have control over what happens during the scoping. I’ve formed a close bond with my doctor, and I trust him and his advice. 

This closer relationship with my wellbeing has caused me not to take my health for granted. As you get older, your health will not be as good as it was during childhood. Everyone will experience new diagnoses that will change your life. I’m not thrilled that I potentially might have to cut gluten out of my diet for life, but I’m grateful to be alive nonetheless. Since facing the symptoms, as well as the resulting doctor’s visits and surgeries I can finally eat without fear.   

Alex Brooke

Emerson '23

I am a creative writing major from VT! I'm also a certified scuba diver and overall ocean nerd, so it's an interesting blend of writing and marine biology.
Emerson contributor