This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

October is the time for fall, Halloween, and unfortunately, midterms. The middle of the semester is here, and you might be feeling lonely, bored, or unsure of where your place is. All those things are totally normal. Here are some tips to avoid a mid-semester rut!

1. Treat yo-self!

At this point in the semester, stress might be getting to you and you may be feeling overwhelmed. If you’re dealing with balancing a lot of schoolwork, remember to reward yourself after a big project or exam! Grab some friends and go out for ice cream, go shopping for a day, or even just take a walk around the Common. Sometimes, all you need is a break or a reward after a hard day of work.

2. Focus some energy on organizations or other fun activities.

Schoolwork does need to be a priority, but sometimes you’ll find yourself getting bored or having a hard time focusing on one assignment. If you’re involved in a couple of organizations on campus, focus some time on them to refresh yourself and do something that you enjoy!

3. If you are having the opposite problem and are feeling bored, get a job or join an organization.

In the middle of the semester, you might feel like everyone has already found their place. There are definitely some organizations that you have to sign up for at the beginning of the semester, but there are plenty you can join halfway through! Talk to your floor-mates or people in your classes and find out if there are any organizations you can join or go to a couple meetings for! You might miss out on class credit this semester, but you’ll still be able to learn about different things going on around campus and meet new people.

4. Get out of your room!

Whether you’re feeling bored or stressed, you might find yourself staying in a lot. If you’re stressed out you may feel like you have no time to leave your room. If you’re bored and having a difficult time getting involved you might be unsure of where to look. Either way, it’s important to get out of your dorm and give your brain a break! Go for a walk, organize a movie night, or go to a campus event. There are fliers all around advertising fun events happening on campus. Take advantage of them and head out!

So whether you’re mid-semester rut means you’re bored or you’re busy beyond belief, remember to take breaks, reward yourself, and get out there and meet new people! The semester is halfway over so make sure you make the most of the rest of it. It’ll be winter break before you know it!

Sarah Marcantonio is a sophomore Writing, Literature, and Publishing major. Sarah hopes to pursue a career writing in someway-- taking any job she can take. Her ultimate goal is to write for a bridal magazine. Born and raised in New Jersey, Sarah hopes to return to New York after graduation. She likes to write about feminism, Boston, current events at Emerson College, and pop culture. 
Emerson contributor