Summer Girl Hawaii Yoga Hiking Exercise View
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus
Wellness > Mental Health

The Art of Taking Care Of Yourself in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

The initial transition from high school to college is a weird one. If you attended a traditional public school, you more than likely followed a similar routine to mine. My alarm would ring at approximately 6 a.m. after I snoozed it once or twice. I would hop in the shower (because morning showers are superior, duh), grab a granola bar and an apple, and head out the door a few minutes early to avoid the chaos of the student parking lot. My day concluded approximately around 5 p.m. after theatre rehearsal, leaving plenty of time for dinner, homework, and to be in bed by 11 p.m.

I was so used to this daily routine that I didn’t really anticipate how it would drastically change when I started my first semester at Emerson College. Since I was responsible for making mundane “self-care” decisions in college, I would put it on the backburner until absolutely necessary. For the first few months of school, I wouldn’t eat all day then devour an entire bag of chips at night. I’d go to bed at 3 a.m. only to wake up at 8 a.m. for my 8:30 a.m. class. I’d drink a sugary Starbucks drink instead of actually drinking water. 

If your pediatrician taught you anything as a kid, you know that this is a super unhealthy lifestyle to live. Within a six month period, I was sick four different times and felt so exhausted every single day. I didn’t feel like going to my classes or keeping up with my school work. I realized that I couldn’t live like this for the rest of the year or, god forbid, the rest of my college career. 

In order to keep yourself happy and functioning in college, there’s a certain art to taking care of yourself. Making sure you’re eating and showering are such basic necessities, and yet, they are the first things we forget when our schoolwork amps up and even the most organized college student can fall into this trap. In the moment, cranking out the paper due the next morning seems more imperative than taking care of your body and mind.  

However, the thing to remember is that taking care of yourself is just as important as doing schoolwork, attending club meetings, or taking a shift at your job. Even just taking a 20 minute homework break to go get a bite to eat before the dining hall closes is enough. 

If you are like me (and many of my friends), take initiative and be proactive about your health. Self care doesn’t have to be Instagramable; it doesn’t mean that you have to do yoga, do a facemask, and drink a cup of tea. It’s just the little things: taking a shower to clear your head before you start the day, walking a lap around the floor of your dorm building, getting a bite to eat with your friend, or even taking a 30 minute power nap. 

In addition, it’s okay to ask for external help with your self care journey. Ask your roommate or friends to encourage and remind you to take a break when needed and take care of yourself. Let your professors know if you are overwhelmed and see if they can offer any extensions or office hours help. Most college campuses also have a counseling center that is always happy to help out. 

Self care, even in the most basic form, will help both your mental health and your schoolwork. It’s such an important part of being a happy and successful student in college. Little things add up to big things, and this is especially the case when it comes to your well-being. Make it a priority for this upcoming semester, and I promise your body and mind will be very grateful.  

Olivia is a sophomore Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College. At any given moment, you can find her talking about books on her blog, petting dogs in the Boston Common, or impulse buying a plant or two. Ask her what musical she is currently listening to; she's dying to tell you.
Emerson contributor