stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

In case you haven’t heard of it, Clue is a period-tracking app you can download for free through an app store. The creators of Clue also have a website, release newsletters, and share social media posts linking to articles they write on period health, sexual health, and similar topics.

I’ve been using Clue for about nine months now. I originally chose this period-tracking app because unlike other period-tracking apps available this one doesn’t look stereotypically feminine, which I appreciated since not everyone who has a period is a woman and not every woman wants an app that creates a “feminine” design that’s pink, flowery, and has butterflies. Clue is very clean, easy to use, and accessible.

There are so many different variables you can track on the app, and you can choose what categories you would like to track simply by clicking on the gray plus sign at the end of the list and switching subcategories on or off. There are so many tracking features available, all of which fall into one of six umbrella categories: period, body, vitality, activities, medical, and other.

Something I didn’t realize until recently is that you can also reorganize the different categories you have on your main page! Also, if there’s something you want to keep track of that isn’t available (for me some of those things include keeping track of taking my vitamin supplement, days when I have negative body image, and days I feel irritable) you can write in your own tags!

This app has been such a great help in giving me insights on my health throughout my menstrual cycle. I feel no pressure to log all categories every day, and I love that with their analysis feature I can see how past cycles stack up in different categories! It’s previously helped me see how different aspects of my physical, mental, and emotional health may vary depending on where I am in my cycle. Getting this extra insight on my body and my cycle has made me feel more in control of the process. This feeling of control has changed since I’ve started taking birth control within the past few months which has caused my cycle to be very irregular, but I do still gain a sense of understanding in seeing a log of my health rather than just having everything become a blur in my memory.

For anyone who tries Clue and ends up loving it, Clue Plus is available for an additional 99 cents per month if you get a one month subscription, or just 83 cents a month if you get the 12 months subscription. Clue Plus gives added forecasts and a more advanced analysis from what’s already available on the app. I myself haven’t signed up for Clue Plus because I’m not at a point where I feel I can use all of these features to their full extent, but I do think it seems like an interesting subscription to try out!

Senior at Emerson College. WLP: Publishing major. Double minoring in Latin American and Latinx Studies, and Marketing Communications. Aspiring managing editor. Bookworm (especially when it comes to YA). Disney Geek. Ravenclaw.
Emerson contributor