Sarah Boggins: Balancing the Weights of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Sarah Boggins, or Squadron One Cadet Captain Boggins as some know her, has a lot going on as many Elon students do. But as a Junior, Boggins not only takes on the normal stresses of Elon classes, she is also balancing ROTC and being an RA.

For Boggins a normal week includes waking up at 4 a.m. at least twice a week. While that might sound miserable for some, she says she loves it.

“It’s just so nice being able to get your workout in in the morning, and then have the whole rest of the day ahead of you. Plus I just love these people that I’m here with.”

On the days she’s up before the sun, she heads to North Carolina A&T for physical training with her ROTC Air Force group. She leads her squadron in physical training and helps them prepare for the week. After her work out she races back to Elon’s campus for her 8 a.m. class.

In addition to these early mornings, Boggins also has afternoon classes at A&T with her ROTC group. She then leads additional drills so her squadron feels comfortable with everything they are learning. To say the least, she keeps busy.

“I’ve always been someone that’s just been driven and I love being busy. I tell people about all the time. I love having things to do – my academics and my work,” says Boggins.  “I consider ROTC to be my work. That’s pretty much my life and as boring as that may sound, I love it, it’s what I live for.”

Boggins is clearly passionate about her Air Force training and has known she wanted to enter the service since high school.

“I’ve always been kind of a very organized follow the rules, follow the rules kind of person,” she explains. After enjoying volunteer service throughout high school, Boggins wanted a way to continue volunteering and giving back. “I knew that being in the military was a way to do that just on a bigger scale.”

When choosing Air Force over other branches, Boggins said it was somewhat family driven, but also the community the Air Force would offer her. “Air force just because they are known for just being a little take care of their people.”

Boggins hopes to eventually serve in the Office of Special Investigations for the Air Force, but for now she’s happy to keep busy at Elon.

Amanda is a freshmen at Elon studying Journalism and Spanish. She calls Atlanta, Ga home. When not writing for HerCampus Amanda loves to travel, cook, and explore new food places around town.