Hallmark Her20s Hero Image?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Hallmark Her20s Hero Image?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media Design Team
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

Self-care. That’s a concept we seem to hear a lot of lately. Prior to the pandemic, it seemed like no one ever had any time for such a thing. During the national lockdown, it felt like there was too much time. Now, we are trying to find the perfect balance. Self-care is important. It should be a vital part of your everyday routine. It helps lead to a better balance of wellness. Given how stressful the last year has been, we all need to find time to look after ourselves. 

Here are some of my personal self-care favorites:

1. Be selfish.

I know it sounds weird, but do at least one thing a day that makes YOU happy. Most of us spend our time working to make everyone around us happy. In order to be your best self, you need to take care of yourself too. 

2. Exercise. 

As someone who suffers from poor mental health, exercising is a great stress reliever. Even though the workout itself might feel terrible, the end result makes it worth it. Take time out of your day to do something that makes you feel good.  

3. Keep a compliment file. 

Any time someone says something kind to you, write it down. When you are feeling sad or anxious, look at this list. Thinking about all the little things people love about you is a definite mood booster. 

4. Take a bath and read a book.

I have found this to be one of the most peaceful acts. Water is known to be a soothing element, making it a perfect self-care moment especially when paired with a book. A personal favorite of mine is The Great Gatsby.

Strategic Communications major with a double minor in Business Administration and International Global Studies at Elon University.