harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What I Learned in Just One Year of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

Hi I’m Jenn I’m a sophomore, from Class of 2021. That means that I’ve been a Blue Jay for a full year now, and although I didn’t want to admit it at first, I’ve changed a lot since beginning college. Obviously everyone is different, and we evolve at different paces in different ways, but here’s how I observed my own changes, and my advice to you as yours come.

I had a panic attack the first day of college. I remember it precisely. I was sitting up front on the first floor of Leffler Chapel. I was supposed to be paying attention to the person talking on stage, but it was like the fourth assembly for the day, and it was late. I remember freaking out that I wasn’t ready for college. I felt like I made the wrong decision leaving home, but the other option of telling my parents I wanted to drop out of college the second day scared me even more than staying. Well I obviously survived the rest of that day, and continued to have a really good year.

I had the opportunity in eighth grade to take a special English program in another high school from the one all my friends were going to, and I decided I cared more about my social life than my academics. I’m an introvert, and making new friends scares me. So imagine coming to college where there is no one I know, including my roommate. I quickly learned to just be myself, and I found people who clicked with me very easily.

I’m an education major, and I remember the first time I came to E-Town for a tour, and my tour guide explained to me that the education program is very hands on, and I would be put in schools right away. It scared me right away, and since that day up until I finally got in the car to go to my first day of field work, I was dreading it. In just one year, I completed over 40 hours of field work in four different schools, and I loved it. I learned how confident I am in my major and the pathway to my career.

In freshman year of high school, I didn’t join any clubs. First year of college, and I’m in two. I meant to join four, but one was way too big, and the other required a fee and I’m broke, so I’m left in two. Not only am I in two clubs, but I’m on the board in both.

I’m not shameful to admit that I have a lot of room to grow. I haven’t gotten a job on campus yet when I should have. I call myself a mental health advocate because I’ve needed a someone who is in my past. And for the totality of first year I avoided going to counseling services, but I finally forced myself to go the beginning of this year. I’m going to be volunteering in an urban location for community-based learning, and it’s the first time I’ll be doing such a thing.

My best advice to newcomers, or to anyone who has a full year of college ahead of them, is to believe in yourself. What you need now, you will have later, including friends, confidence, and responsibility. Don’t get caught up in the idea that things you didn’t take part in during high school shouldn’t be ignored in college, too. Don’t think about it too much, either. Just let life happen, roll with the punches, and have a great year.

Jennifer Davenport

Elizabethtown '21

Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus club at Elizabethtown College. Jennifer is part of the Class of 2021, and she's a middle level English education major, with a creative writing minor. Her hobbies include volunteering, watching YouTube for way too many hours, and posting memes on her Instagram. She was raised in New Jersey, lives in New York, and goes to college in Pennsylvania, so she's ruined 3 of America's 50 states. She's an advocate for mental health, LGBT+ rights, and educational reform.
Kristen Wade

Elizabethtown '19

Kristen Wade is a senior Communications major with a concentration in PR and a minor in Graphic Design at Elizabethtown College. Kristen loves hiking, shopping, and baking. After graduation, Kristen hopes to work in digital marketing.