stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Being Sick in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

Being sick isn’t fun for anyone let alone a college kid. If you’re sick for the first time as a freshman, I’m so sorry. I know it’s not easy not having your parents to help you out, but some kind of cold goes around in the beginning of every year. It sucks. But never fear! I’m sick as I’m writing this, so you’re not alone. What I do when I get sick at college is: I invest in Robitussin, NyQuil, and ibuprofin, which are all available in student stores around campus and can be purchased with Pirate Bucks. Those three are your guardian angels, or at least they’re mine!

Tea helps too, but not sweet tea, more like herbal tea and honey. It’s a life saver. I think not sitting around helps too, go for a walk (even though you don’t feel like it at all) or something. I remember when I had the Flu, I walked 12 miles and did all four parks of Disney in one day, and I got over the Flu faster than my dad did (he sat around all day and didn’t move at all). It’s important to remember, too, that if you feel like you might have a sinus, ear, or lung infection that you can always make an appointment (only same day) at ECU student health services (for free with insurance, and all of that). It’s what some of your college tuition dollars are going towards, you might as well use it when you need it! Just be careful with your absences, because it is still early in the semester.

If you email your professor, sometimes they will understand that you’re really sick and can’t make it to class; sometimes they won’t, but it’s worth a try. I, personally, hate being sick. I feel like crap, I look like crap, and really, no one is happy. But tea, sleep, cold/sinus meds, and a sparkling attitude can go a long way in terms of getting better, at least they do for me. 

I am currently a junior at ECU, majoring in Secondary English Education. I really just like to read and write.