Durham’s Vegan and Vegetarian Society: Lauren Brain

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

Recently, Her Campus Durham got the chance to speak to Lauren Brain, a third year Anthropologist from St Cuthbert’s Society and the Treasurer of the Durham Vegan and Vegetarian Society. Lauren has done a lot of work in this area; not only does she help organise this society’s events but she set up the Durham University Animal Rights and Welfare Society, has been to Borneo with DUCK to do conservation work and interned with PETA this summer.

So, what does Lauren have planned for the Vegan and Vegetarian Society?

Next term, the society is planning to meet up for casual drinks and a potluck (where everyone brings a big dish to share) and our AGM. We are also supporting the ‘Meet Your Meat’ campaign, which will run in May. Held by the Animal Rights & Welfare Society, there will be free food and lots of interesting material, so make sure to keep an eye out for it when the website goes live – the link will be posted to the Vegetarian & Vegan Society’s Facebook group.

So, are the people who attend events mostly vegan themselves?

We are seeing an increasing number of vegans at events, which is fantastic. This reflects the recent rise in veganism following landmark documentaries such as Earthlings, Cowspiracy, and Forks over Knives; and popular Youtubers such as Freelee the Banana Girl and High Carb Hannah. PETA, and other vegan outreach organisations, are great influencers too.

The society welcomes anyone who is interested in vegetarianism as long as you maintain an open mind. Even if you have tried and failed at vegetarianism or veganism, or even Meat Free Mondays, you’re welcome to join in any event – every member is super friendly and understanding, as long as you are too. Everyone is really passionate about this, so expect to talk about it lots!

And what are the main benefits of being vegan?

The main benefits to the individual are definitely health related. So many vegan alternatives are naturally healthier, and as a result of this vegans have a much lower risk of heart disease and obesity, and a longer life expectancy overall. The hormones in milk and cholesterol in eggs are easily avoidable with healthier, eco-friendly and ethical vegan alternatives.

Personally, I find the greatest benefit to me is knowing that nothing has been harmed for any food that I eat. It’s so easy to forget that the leg of lamb we buy from a supermarket shelf is actually a part of a dead animal, or that the milk we buy from a corner shop was intended for the cows’ new-born calf – yes, there has to be a baby for there to be milk [no prizes for guessing what happens to the baby]. Unfortunately, industries are quite brutal and for every animal product produced at mass, animals die – even for honey. The Youtuber Erin Janus explains these industries very well, check her out if you are curious.

Lastly, the environmental impact is harrowing. It takes around 2,500 gallons of water to produce 1 pound of beef (that’s about 2 months worth of showers). When you think about the humanitarian side of this, it makes no sense to flood cows with so much water so that we can eat burgers, whilst other people die of thirst in less affluent areas of the world. We can consume all the nutrients that we require from plants at a much lower cost to the environment, to the animals, and to other people. For more information, hop over to Leonardo Dicaprio’s documentary and website.

What advice do you have for someone considering becoming vegan?

Absolutely do it! If you know anyone who is vegan, contact them for hints and tips. Personally I find it so encouraging to hear about other people making compassionate choices, and every time I hear from an old friend who is thinking about becoming vegan, it makes my week! There are so many Facebook groups too (i.e. Vegan UK, Vegan Newcastle & North East) that are really supportive and engaging. Instagram is also incredibly resourceful and full of niche’s such as vegan body building, vegan travel, vegan yoga, vegan athletes, vegan weight loss, vegan baking, vegan babies, vegan anything!

I got into veganism through ‘Veganuary’ and stuck with it because I agreed with every aspect of veganism; I recommend this way completely – and you don’t have to do it in January, just any 30 days of the year. Don’t worry if you accidentally mess up, just treat it as a bump in the road, and move on. It’s all a learning experience, and as long as you do the best you can, you’re winning.

You can find some of Lauren’s favourite vegan recipes on her instagram (lauren_brains). She recommends ‘chicken’ barbeque pizza, tofu pad thai, and dark chocolate brownies with homemade banana and berry ice cream. She also’s a fan of green smoothies and ‘pretty much anything with hummus’. ‘For health food inspiration I turn to fellow Durhamite, Talia Berrimen.’ Lauren explains, ‘her Instagram, ‘Vegantidote’ is highly recommended and bursting with exciting, nourishing recipes.’

Lauren’s own lifestyle website, BareBrains, is about to take off, so be sure to check it out when it goes live. Huge thanks to Lauren for speaking to us this week!

I am currently in my final year of studying English Literature at Durham University, England. I am hoping to become a journalist in the future, but in the mean time, I enjoy cheerleading, fashion and travelling, and of course, being the editor of Durham's Her Campus!