Do You Dread Or Relish In The Prospect Of A New Term?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

Happy new year!  Another year, a new term, a new beginning and for Durham University students, the Epiphany term is upon us!

Returning to university in January is a double-edged sword for me.  On the one hand, you are delighted to see your chums once more, to catch up, to return to the routine of lectures and seminars and with the occasional night of revelry on the town. On the other hand, you just know this term will undoubtedly be filled with academic demands and summative deadlines. Not to mention dissertation writing for finalists – how fun!

So, I have decided to compile a list of things that I am dreading and relishing this term …

Dreading

Summative Season: I was already dreading the 1500-word essay that I must write entirely in French for the end of this term, until today I learnt that I also have a 2000-word summative that is worth 50% of my marks for the module (which also has the very same deadline as my other essay, may I add). Given that I completed a 2000-word summative for this module during the Christmas holiday, I presumed – quite wrongly, I admit – that I would have a much longer period of time to produce a masterpiece (ha). Instead I will have to do so for an earlier deadline!  Still, at least it means that I will have only one summative to write over the Easter break. And who isn’t grateful for a bit more of revision time to minimise stress if necessary? Every cloud has a silver lining!

Mock Exam: My German Translation module is assessed by one exam lasting three hours (I know…). It is completed on the computer, and while three hours may seem a long time to sit at a computer, there is still an enormous amount of pressure to complete all aspects of the exam. While I am relieved to have a mock exam for this module that, I hope, will prepare me for the real exam and give me a much-needed confidence boost, the thought of three hours in front of a screen is not particularly appealing. Especially on the day that both of my summatives are due. Talk about bad timing!

The Weather: January is a dismal month, as Christmas has passed, and everyone is pretty much drowning in their overdraft. This, of course, is not at all helped by the damp, the drizzle and the cold. Hurry up summer!

Relishing

Seeing my friends: I miss my friends terribly during the holiday and being reunited with them in Durham is sheer delight! There’s nothing quite like a familiar trip to Flat White or a slightly messy night out in Jimmy’s.

Caledonian Society: My favourite society of them all!  For those of you unfamiliar with the Caledonian Society, or Cal Soc as it is frequently known, this society meets weekly for two hours of reeling fun.  We’re taught Scottish dance routines by the exec team and have annual balls, including the White Tie Ball at the end of the term – they’re always the highlight of the term. I cannot wait for the ball later this term!

February: Thank goodness for February!  The ray of sunshine (sadly not always literally) following the misery of January, and you never know, you could be lucky on Valentine’s Day.

Grey College Valentine’s Formal: I enjoyed the Valentine’s Formal at Grey College immensely last year, so I really hope that my friends and I will able to bag ourselves a spot on it this year. Obviously, we’re all hoping for a camembert starter.

My 21st birthday: Nearing the end of this term will mean that I am even closer to my 21st birthday in April…

A bit of both

As a second-year Modern Languages student, I am in the midst of organising my year abroad that will begin in September 2018 (scary but exciting!) I am hoping to apply to the Université Sorbonne Nouvelle in Paris, where I would like to study for a term – fingers crossed for my application that I will be completing this term. I am dreading and both relishing in the planning of my year abroad, and will be very pleased when I am sure of where I will be studying and working. Having had an interview for an internship in Berlin, I am waiting to complete the remainder of the application process.  Here’s hoping!

I wish you all a happy, healthy and prosperous 2018!