Is Stressed Really Desserts Spelled Backwards?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

It’s that time of the day, when your brain is fried and you need to work off some steam. You may stand up, stretch, or take a stroll through the halls, but does your study break usually consist of chocolate-y goodness, sugary frosting, or gooey cookie dough? Well head on over to your nearest kitchen, which I bet you didn’t know was so conveniently located in your very own building, blast some music and get down to business! The mesmerizing scent of freshly baked goods will definitely help you release some stress!

Studies have shown that finding an escape in the form of baking has a calming influence on you and a positive effect on your emotions. We’ve all heard of aromatherapy, namely the association of good smells with relaxation. So for all you sugar enthusiasts out there, the good news is that this simple age-old hobby is guaranteed to make you happy!

Baking is methodical, making you concentrate on every step and every measurement, clearing your head. Baking is motivational, giving you quick 10-minute intervals to contemplate life while you’re waiting to take your final product out of the oven. Baking is introspective, allowing you to put aside time for yourself, time when no one can bother you. Baking is self-empowering, giving you a sense of pride while adding finishing touches (such as sprinkles) to your timeless creation.

But let’s be real, baking is REALLY satisfying; at what other point can you turn cookie dough into actual cookies or brownie mix into actual brownies. And what’s better than getting a whiff of some aromatic scents, just to bring back childhood memories of your mom’s homemade pastries. And ending up with a mouth-watering snack to munch on isn’t all that bad either. Sometimes you need to face the facts and just eat your feelings! No wonder they’re called ‘comfort foods’!

But eventually, baking will become a habit and you’ll be making trips to the kitchen more and more often. You’ll encounter that awkward moment when you’re scrambling to find out who’s birthday is coming up just so you can put your cooking skills to the test. You’ll receive an extra shot of happiness by sharing with your friends and receiving heaps of positive feedback, that is if you don’t eat it all yourself! 

Freshman at Duke University! Born and raised in Miami, Florida, I love coffee, working out, tennis/ any water-sports, and trying new and exciting things!