This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

As the semester rolls on and we enter the dark heart of midterm season, it becomes easier and easier to lose track of food points spending—especially as more and more lattes are necessary for staying awake in class. If you realize you need to cut back on food points—or everything is closed and your stomach is grumbling in the middle of an all-night study sesh—here are a few easy ideas on how to use your coffee maker or water boiler to make food:

-Oatmeal: A breakfast favorite, oatmeal is a great just-add-water choice to make throughout the day. Whole oats are a great source of fiber and antioxidants, providing a filling and healthy snack you can make in your room. To add, oatmeal is easily customizable; adding honey, fruits, and nuts conveniently adds more nutrients and flavors.

-Soup: Apparently, a few soup brands like Progresso sell K-Cups to make soup in Keurig machines. Easier to find, though, powdered soups mixable with hot water can make a fast and easy comfort food.

-Affogato: A super fancy (and deceptively easy) way to impress your dorm guests, just plop a scoop of ice cream into a cup and pour some coffee over it. This is a great way to get your caffeine and sugar fixes all in one go.

-Mac ‘n’ Cheese: From Velveeta to Annie’s, add-water mac ‘n’ cheeses are a go-to dorm recipe.

-Rice and pasta: Surprisingly, you don’t need a microwave to make rice and pasta; just pour hot water from your coffee maker into the bowl, cover it with a plate to keep steam from escaping for about 3 minutes, then add more hot water and cover it again.

-Ramen: A college classic, just stick a cup of ramen underneath your coffee maker to make a quick and easy meal. Just be careful of the sodium!

-Noodles: Bella Union sells a selection of Annie Chun’s noodles, including Pad Thai and Kung Pao noodle bowls, that make a more filling and flavorful fast meal.

-Fancy Stuff: Have you watched too much of “Chopped” or are you planning a Harris Teeter run? Here are a few ideas from the Food Network for making fresh, healthy just-add-water meals: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/photos/just-add-water-meals.   

I am a senior at Duke University, majoring in art history and minoring in political science and psychology. Outside of class, I love traveling, watching films and writing. I'm excited to be Duke's campus correspondent this upcoming school year!