5 Ways to Keep Your Skin Happy and Healthy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

It is important to take care of your body and your skin, as your body’s largest organ, is no exception. With the stress of midterms, late night snacking, and the changing weather, it is not the optimal time for perfect skin.  Thankfully, there are many simple ways you can help your skin thrive, and fortunately, most of them can easily fit into a college budget—double win!

1. Moisturize

Moisturizing is one of the most underrated parts of your skin care routine, but acne can be caused by dry skin too!  Plus, using a daily moisturizer is a simple way to eliminate the appearance of red or irritated skin.  Look for a moisturizer that has SPF to reduce the risk of sunburn.  Some moisturizers have active ingredients in them, such as salicylic acid, which can further prevent and treat acne.  However, you should avoid moisturizers with active ingredients if you have dry skin, as they may cause further drying and irritation.

2.  Try Witch hazel

What can witch hazel do for your skin? A better question may be: How won’t witch hazel help your skin?  Witch hazel is a plant native to North America and Asia.  Chemicals are extracted from its leaves and are found in many beauty products.  Witch hazel is a natural toner, astringent, anti-inflammatory, and acne treatment.  It even may protect against skin cancer! Integrate this easy addition to your daily skin care routine, and witness the benefits for yourself!

3. Wash your pillowcases

Plopping into bed after a long day or late night out sounds like the perfect remedy for almost all things in life.  Unfortunately, your skin is not a fan.  Make-up and sweat can accumulate and soak into your pillowcase.  This can end up clogging your pores.  Luckily, this can be easily fixed by throwing your pillowcases in with your weekly laundry.

4. Use a Facemask

There are so many choices for masks out there: exfoliating, hydrating, charcoal, sheet masks, and more!  Have a mask party with your roommate or friends.  Everyone can get together for a short study break for ten to twenty minutes while the masks sit.  Then, you can all leave with brighter skin and relaxed minds, woo hoo!  Remember to moisturize after if you were using a mask so you don’t ruin the benefits by over drying!

5. Wash your face

Finally, the most obvious, wash your face.  Skipping your simple skin care routine every other night can add up by the end of the week, and next thing you know, you’re skin is packed with pimples.  Make washing your face is part of your daily routine.  Do it first thing in the morning or scrub your face with your favorite exfoliator in the shower each night.  Whatever you do, make it a habit!