5 Things You Need to do Before Going Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

With the semester coming to an end, time is running out on all those little things that you’ve been telling yourself you’re going to for the past few months.  Here are 5 things that I’m going to do before going home.

1. Meet Up

via: Redbubble

You know that friend you talk about catching up with every time you see them around campus, but never actually schedule anything with? Find a time to meet up, even if its only for 30 minutes while grabbing coffee.  Sometimes it’s really hard to coordinate schedules and find the time, but it’s worth it to catch up with an old friend before going home for the summer.

2. Embrace the Food

via: Duke Chronicle

Related: Midsemester Resolutions

Whether you’re an upperclassman sick of going to WU everyday or a freshman dreaming of leaving marketplace behind, don’t forget to appreciate your meal plan before it’s gone.  Freshmen, there is a very real chance that you will never step foot into marketplace again after going home this summer, so instead of bemoaning it, think of how great it is to be able to eat fro-yo at every meal or customize your own stir fry.  Yes having food points as an upperclassman is great, but nothing beats the camaraderie of walking into MP and recognizing almost everyone there.  Upperclassmen, while the food can get repetitive, being able to late night order pizza on food points is a gift, so embrace it.

3. Go to Perkins

via: Duke Libraries

Related: Best New Places to Study Around Campus

Okay, so this isn’t an exciting and new thing to try and isn’t the way anyone wants to spend their night, but you still have to do it.  Don’t let all of the work you’ve done this semester go to waste.  Buckle down the next couple of weeks and push through the pain of doing readings instead of sitting outside and know that it will all be worth it in the end.

4. Hang out in the Gardens

via: Duke Today

Duke is so over the top extra sometimes, but when it comes to the gardens, I’m so glad.  They are absolutely stunning, especially in the spring.  So take some time while walking to class to detour a bit and explore an area that families drive to see, and make a day out of walking around.

5. Do Something in Durham

via: Trip Advisor

Whether it’s going to get ice cream from The Parlour, walking around the American Tobacco District, or trying a new restaurant downtown, find a way to engage with your home away from home for four years.  Durham is a pretty cool place to be a college student, so take advantage of it.

Don’t find yourself at home this summer feeling the FOMO. Get your semester’s bucket list together, and start checking them off!