This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

So your best friends love to coordinate outfits, your mom would really appreciate it if you could “try and look more polished”, your dad is always wondering why everything is “so tight”,  and your cousin lowkey has a problem with anyone who wears pastels. So in an attempt to make everyone happy, you can easily lose your fashion identity. 

Trying to dress to please the masses can be tiring! I mean everyone has a different standard of what is polished, unique, professional, classy, trashy, chic, etc. The list could go on and on, so whose opinion actually matters? Who is right? 

Well, when it comes to fashion and dressing, right is relative. The reality is that clothing oneself is a personal task. Quite literally, you decide what to wear and then put those clothes on your person.  For some, getting dressed is a way of voicing who they are. 

Don’t get me wrong, I understand company dress codes and that schools have uniforms. Every company wants to voice who they are, and often times the wardrobe of their employees is a major part of that. So, what I’m talking about is getting that basic understanding of who you want to be through your clothing.  It takes time and it takes experimentation. But it is sooo important!!!

Consider these reasons why…

1. You ultimately are the one that has to live with yourself, people come and go. 
  2. You get to know yourself! By dressing for yourself you learn what looks good on you, and what styles you vibe with.
  3. It makes shopping easier. When you’re ultimately dressing to please someone else, it can be an unpleasant experience. 
  4. It boosts confidence. I know for a fact that when I feel comfortable, I am so much more confident. I don’t have to wear sweatpants or leggings to feel comfortable. It’s more about being happy with what you are wearing. Knowing that you feel great and then being prepared to take on the day, the presentation, the class or the situation. 
  5. It’s fun!!! Clothes are one of the ways to spice life up. We all get dressed, let’s make it interesting and meaningful. 

Just give it a try, ask yourself why you wear, what you wear. Then ask yourself if you are happy with that. Let’s start taking steps to actually dress for ourselves!

Studying fashion design at Drexel University.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.