7 Health Trends That Need to Go

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

In recent years, health and wellness has become a major trend. The idea that people are more conscious about what they are putting in and doing to their bodies is great in theory. However, problems arise when being thin becomes more important than being healthy, cutting back on foods becomes more important than eating a well-balanced diet, or products that are ridiculous are being glorified by celebrities. Below you will find a list of a few health trends that we are tired of seeing.

1. Juice cleanses

Okay, seriously, our bodies are made to consume food! Juices can be delicious and nutritious as the beverage that goes along with your meal. Starving yourself in order to “cleanse your system” is so unhealthy. Instead, eat clean and eliminate processed foods for a couple days to rid your body of all the bad stuff.

2. Gendered foods

Why is it that nearly every salad advertisement has a woman eating it? Also, lots of foods or weight loss programs are geared towards mothers. Men, you too can eat green stuff! And ladies, feel free to enjoy a good steak or hamburger. Let’s stop judging people’s gender identities based on their diets … it’s just absurd.

3. Wheatgrass shots

I’m sorry, but the mere mention of a wheatgrass shot already sounds gross. It’s grass! Sure, the health benefits might be amazing, but just put it in your smoothie and please stop downing it like bottom shelf booze.

4. Powdered foods

Why is powdered peanut butter even a thing? Just eat real peanut butter! It’s much more natural, you get healthy fats and a lot of protein. Powdered eggs? No thanks, we prefer our eggs to come from chickens not a box. Organic eggs come from cage-free hens that have access to direct sunlight and are not fed antibiotics, pesticides, drugs or animal byproducts.

5. No carb diets

There is no reason to cut an entire food group out of your diet. Your body needs carbs in order to stay energized. Instead of eliminating them altogether, just monitor what kinds of carbs you’re putting in your body and be mindful of portion control.

6. Waist trainers

Whose idea was it to make a torture device that squeezes all your organs and aims to shrink your waist by constraining your ribcage? Just because the Kardashians endorse them, doesn’t mean they’re safe.

7. Detox teas

Dear every celebrity ever, I do NOT want to drink Fit Tea so stop plastering my social media feeds with endless ads. Reasons why? See number #1.

There you have it, these are the trends we’re sick and tired of hearing about! The most important thing to remember if you’re trying to be healthy and work on your fitness, is to implement a regime that is sustainable. Trends might help you lose weight or create the appearance of thinness for a little while, but healthy lifestyle changes will have long term effects.

Ariana is a senior communications major and a writer for Her Campus at Drexel University. She loves to learn about pop culture, sex and gender, and is currently working on her senior project researching communication about sexual health on campus. Her go-to binge-worthy shows are Friends and Sex and the City.