thought catalog IcUbKfIuQ70 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
thought catalog IcUbKfIuQ70 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Wellness > Mental Health

5 Simple Ways to Take Care of Your Mental Health During this Lockdown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

It seems like you’ve done everything there is to be done. You’ve watched all your favorite shows, you’ve seen what seems like every single post on Instagram, you’ve called your friends, and you’re almost tired of sleeping in. This lockdown and being quarantined might have just started to (or might already) have taken a toll on your mental health. In fact, your mind may be convincing you that all there is left to do is sit and overthink. However, that is not the case. Here are 10 ways to nourish, nurture and take care of your mental health while quarantining. 

Declutter Your Room/Home 

This tip may seem simple and one that you’ve not only seen everywhere but you’ve done before. Yet, it is one that people often underestimate the importance of. 

Having a clean and organized atmosphere helps you think more clearly and allows you to feel less overwhelmed, stressed and negative. So, recycle out those empty bottles from your room, throw out old papers, bills and unneccessary items, change your sheets, and perhaps even move your furniture around to give yourself a new atmosphere. 

If the experience of cleaning your room was exhilarating, move on to other rooms in your house and allow yourself to enjoy the process of decluttering and organizing your atmosphere. 

Don’t be afraid to put some music on and dance while cleaning! 

Paint or Draw! 

This tip might also fall into that ‘been there, done that’ category, however, this experience has a particular therapeutic aspect to it. 

One might excuse themselves from this activity and claim that they are not “good” at painting or drawing (and I was definitely one of these people). However, painting and drawing have been found to help anxiety as it is rather calming and soothing. It will even remind you of your drawing and coloring days when you were little. 

So, grab some paint, paper and pencils and put some calming music on, or maybe even video call some friends and ask them to join you. Let yourself create something from scratch and feel proud of yourself, no matter how ‘good’ you feel it is. 

Meditate 

When one hears the word “meditate,” it is easy to imagine someone sitting cross-legged in an empty room and breathing. However, this is not always the case. Meditation is simply the process of calming your mind and trying your best to gain control of your thoughts. 

There are various apps that you can download that will allow you to wear your AirPods, close your eyes and go into your own world. Some examples are Calm, Headspace and Aura. 

Once you’ve downloaded these apps and try a few sessions out, you will gradually understand the importance and positive effects of meditating for even 3 minutes a day

Journal

This is a tip/suggestion that is seen on almost every website and blog on the Internet. However, it is only when you try it, that you understand just how refreshing it is. 

Once you start taking that pen to paper, you get immersed in a world that you control and created. Journal does not have to mean writing out your thoughts like in a diary. It can also mean drawing little doodles, writing out your favorite quotes, writing out certain lists of your choosing etc. 

You will make that journal YOUR journal, and you will be the one with control over it. That journal slowly but surely becomes your beautiful safe space. 

Allocate a Whole Day to Self-Care

Self-care can mean different things to people. No matter what your definition is, it is important to practice it regularly. 

Take a whole 24-hours to take care of yourself both mentally and physically. This means doing whatever makes you feel replenished, refreshed and soothed. 

You could take a long shower and shaving, singing in the shower, putting a face mask on afterward, moisturizing and wearing new or your favorite clothes after that. You could also paint your nails, make a DIY hair or face mask, cut your hair or relax in the bathtub with music on. 

While all these tips seem rather small and basic, they all contribute to the maintenance of your mental health. Once you try them out, you understand that the way to a better mental health is one that consists of rather small, yet enjoyable, activities. 

Hi! My name is Nera and I am currently a Marketing major at Drexel. I love writing short stories and poems, rescuing animals and volunteering! If you have any questions, requests or inquiries, please email me at snf57@drexel.edu
Her Campus Drexel contributor.