This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePauw chapter.

As the semester rolls on, especially around midterm and final exams, things can seem to pick up at an overwhelming speed. Suddenly, organizations can seem like too big of a time commitment or the massive preparations for your classes start to feel too heavy on your shoulders. Luckily, I have been through these same experiences and found ways to make my life— and hopefully yours—a more positive space for you to inhabit and thrive in!

Organize Your Time Efficiently

Getting a planner or using Google Calendar can help organize anyone’s busy schedule. Stay ahead of upcoming events and deadlines by keeping track of when things need to be completed by. Having an idea of what to expect each week can help you prepare and feel less stressed when due dates start to role around.

Prioritize Commitments

Being someone who has a hard time saying no— this was a hard step for me to accomplish. Everyone wants to have an impressive resume and an active social life. If you find that you’re being overworked or don’t have time to slow down, it might be time to prioritize what you want to do. It’s important to succeed and get the most out of your time in college, but also don’t forget to make time for yourself too! Which leads to another important point…

Do Good Things for Yourself!

This is so so so important. Make sure to spend some quality time with yourself too! You’re working hard and building a future for yourself. Its okay to do something nice for yourself every once in a while. Free time? Stay in and watch your favorite movie! A little extra cash? Buy yourself a small treat! Free moment before bed? Do a face mask and blast some tunes. Self-love is important and vital in creating a safe and positive environment for yourself.

Do Good Things for Others

I have always believed that the energy you put out into the world finds its way back to you. If you ever have an opportunity to help someone else, push yourself to do it. Everyone goes through struggles, and having you brighten their day will make their burdens possibly seem lighter. Open doors for people, offer help with homework, compliment a random stranger passing by on their way to class or just listen to a friend. There are so many ways to positively help others, so don’t be afraid to be courageous and creative!

Be Grateful and Thankful!

Lastly, focusing on your mindset can help you begin to look at your specific situations differently. Through all the struggles, tears and obstacles you still have the amazing opportunity to expand your horizons and learning valuable life lessons. Why have your glass be half empty when it can be half full? Of course, this is easier said then done… but putting forth the effort to be grateful for the things and experiences you have will slowly change your whole way of looking at the world around you.

Kayleigh Ray

DePauw '21

I am a current Senior English writing major at DePauw University. HerCampus has been such a fun and fulfulling platform to contribute to throughout my college career. Hopefully throughout senior year I will continue contributing content back to the platform for all it's done for my own personal growth as a writer.
Hi, I'm Rose Overbey! I'm a senior at DePauw University, majoring in English writing. I'm a passionate non-fiction writer with interests in upcycling, crafts, fashion, and the environment.